Friday, May 4, 2018

Mourning Does Eventually End


“Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.” (Ps 30:11-12 AV)

Sadness is temporary.  At least it is meant to be that way.  We don’t know the exact circumstance of this Psalm.  It was written at the conclusion of a very deep time of mourning.  It could have been penned at any time of David’s life where he experienced a deep sense of loss.  He buried several children.  His little baby boy born from the affair with Bathsheba.  He buried Amnon because of his actions towards Tamar.  He buried Absalom because of his rebellion.  He buried his parents sometime between his flight from Saul and his ascension to the throne in Jerusalem.  There were times when there was weeping in the night.  There were times when his pillow was wet with tears.  But these times are not intended to last a life-time.  These times are natural, unfortunate, and necessary.  But these times are to be replaced with better times.

Perhaps this is what his son, Solomon had in mind when he penned, “A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;” (Ec 3:4 AV) He was not born to see the death of his elder brother.  But he was there to see his father go through the other three deaths.  Solomon learned what he learned from his father.  He learned there was a time to weep over the loss of something or someone very close.  But he also saw the correction given to his father by his uncle Joab.  The correction of not rejoicing over victory from an enemy because one was also mourning over the loss of his son.  Solomon saw it was appropriate to mourn.  It was also appropriate to mourn.

Recently, I have had to say goodbye to one of the most important persons in my life.  My dear mother passed away in mid-march.  She was an angle from heaven.  An example of strength, patience, love, and grace.  There was no one else like her nor will there ever be.  We often brag on our mothers as being the best one.  Truly, mine was.  There is a time to mourn.  There is a time to remember her and miss her terribly.  But there is also a time when we can rejoice in the other blessings which the LORD has granted.  David may have lost four sons, but he had far more who outlived him.  I may miss my mother, but the LORD has given me wonderful wife, awesome daughters-in-law, sons that far exceed any dream I may have had, and four precious grandchildren.  I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment