Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Right To The End


“For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.” (Ps 48:14 AV)

The ‘this God’ is the God who is described in the psalm and being a refuge and righteousness.  In particular, as it pertains to the city of Zion.  The Psalmist rehearses the understanding that God will establish the city of Jerusalem in such a way that it will affect the entire world tow the glory of God.  But it is not this fact that we want to consider.  It is the later part of the verse upon which we wish to meditate. 

God’s promises are absolute.  When it comes to Jerusalem, they are unconditional.  Christ will return and Zion will be the center of rule and law.  It will be the center of worship to which all must come.  These promises are certain and unalterable.  This us upon which David makes the observation at the end of the psalm.  As certain and unalterable as the restoration and glorification of Zion will be, so to will the guiding had of God be upon those who trust in Him.  I have to admit, there was a time that I suffered great anxiety over this.  As I found myself getting older and family more distant, I greatly feared life as old age is knocking at the door.  Where will I live?  Who will take care of me?  Will there be anyone around who will care enough to drop by and say hello?  These things tormented my mind.  But then, the peace of God simply took residence in my heart and mind.  God will guide me, and everyone else who has trusted in Christ, until the day of our death.  He will never leave us nor forsake us.  He will not abandon us in the hour of our greatest need.

Years ago, I had the privilege of caring for the spiritual needs of an aging widow who was suffering from aggressive Alzheimer’s.  Her son was wounded while serving our nation and couldn’t visit nearly as often as he would have liked.  He called our church looking for someone who would visit with his mother.  This I did for about six months.  I saw her quickly succumb to this horrible disease, but I also witness something so beautiful it was encouraging.  Her last days were spent, sitting in a chair in the hallway, speaking to God in open prayer.  She was speaking to Him as though no one else was in the building or even on the planet.  She was totally unaware of her surroundings.  Totally oblivious to all things but God.  It was something to see.  If God is that real to a dying woman, then He will be equally real to us.  To me.

No comments:

Post a Comment