Saturday, November 17, 2018

Love On 'Em Anyway


“But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom. I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.” (Ps 35:13-14 AV)

How we are treated should not determine how we treat others.  David’s Psalm here is a comparison between how he treated those who did not necessarily support him and how they treated him.  He empathized with them when they suffered illness or death.  He prayed and fasted for them.  He humbled himself and treated all like a brother or sister.  He treated them with tenderness and grace.  He did so because they were under his care.  As king and shepherd, he tended to his flock with tenderness and compassion regardless of how they responded.  This is the true heart of a shepherd.

There is something humbling and cleansing about this.  It is one thing to love on your toddler who really doesn’t have any ability for malice.  But love on your teenager or adult child who has the ability to judge and condemn.  That takes another whole level of humility and grace.  I remember those days.  I remember the days wherein my sons felt their dad wasn’t always right. (I am not, by the way.  Even though we like to think so).  There is push back.  There is challenge.  I have been so blessed to have three sons who never, not one time, ever rebelled.  Even though we may have come to loggerheads from one time or another, they always respected their father and never ever violated that respect.  That does not mean we didn’t have our disagreements.  Usually over a biblical doctrine or principle.  But that is the time for growth for both parties.  A time for the younger to question what he has been taught so that he can make his belief system his own, and a time of humility and patience for the older, knowing that his role has changed.  I wouldn’t trade those days for anything.

The same is true for a shepherd.  There are times when the sheep will nip at your heels.  They don’t see it that way.  But that is what it is.  Gossip, slander, and roast preacher for Sunday dinner is the norm.  One must remember it is not always rebellion.  They have to work these things out.  They have to study them out for themselves.  Which means they will be critical of the shepherd. Love on them anyway.  The shepherd will also grow because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment