Sunday, August 15, 2021

Until Then, Share

Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.” (Mr 5:19 AV)

 

Jesus uttered these words to one whom he had just healed.  This individual was so grateful he wished to accompany Jesus wherever that might lead.  He loved the Savior for what was done for him.  He wanted the presence of the only one who had ever cared for him.  His ailment was such that the whole town and his own family avoided him.  No one cared for his soul.  Along comes the man of Galilee, the Son of God, and has compassion on him when no one else would.  He casts out demons that had plagued him for most of his adult life.  All others fled from him.  He lived among the tombs.  He self-mutilated himself.  He was worse than an outcast.  He was feared.  But Jesus changed all that.  Now, he sat whole and in his right mind.  All he wanted to do was to stay with the only one who loved him like no other.  Very understandable.  Yet, the LORD had different plans for him.  The LORD wished him to return to those who had rejected him and share with them what the LORD did for him.  He desired the healed man to impact the lives of others more than to accompany Him in ministry.  This had to be hard.  But it was what the LORD wanted.

In my family, we had this right of passage.  It was working summer camps.  These camps would start in early July and go for about six to eight weeks.  It meant being away from your family for the entire summer.  I remember the first summer I did this because it was a great adjustment.  Being away from my family was one thing.  Added to that was the stress of working in an environment where two hundred kids constantly wanted something from you.  The worst week of all was the week when the youngest campers arrived.  The staff was required to leave the comfort of their home away from home and camp with the littles of campers.  You ate, slept, and traversed with them.  Everywhere they went, you had to go.  You were a twenty-four hours babysitter for children who were traumatized by the absence of their own families.  We couldn’t wait for the week to be over and we could return to our own staff tents.  A funny thing happened during that week.  About two or three days in, our hearts were drawn more towards those kids than it was our own families or tents.  They needed us.  They wanted us.  It was more needful for them than it was for us to receive our own emotional security.

If we are saved, our hearts ache for the presence of our LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ.  We want His presence more than anything in the world.  I have a wife who is my best friend.  I have three sons, three terrific daughters-in-law, and six grandchildren.  The LORD has blessed me with a wonderful and supportive family.  I particularly miss my grandchildren.  But if I had to choose, I would choose the company of Jesus more than all of them combined.  I know it will be difficult to see Him for the first time, knowing how much I have failed Him.  But after that is over, I cannot even begin to imagine the love that will be in those eyes of His.  That face of love and compassion that has no equal will be looking at me as someone who loves me more than any being ever could.  I ache for that moment.  I look for that moment.  I pray for that moment.  Yet, the LORD asks me to share His love with those around me.  I will eventually be with Him for all of eternity. In the meantime, others need to learn of Him.  I would be selfish if I spent my emotional reserves wishing for the inevitable before the necessary was accomplished.  The same is true for us all.  We may want to enter eternity yesterday, but for today, others need to hear of what He can do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment