Friday, August 6, 2021

The Door Is Ajar

Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?” (Mal 3:7 AV)

 

The amazing thing about the underlined phrase is when the LORD said this.  Malachi is the last book of the Old Testament.  For over 400 years, there would be no new word from the LORD.  Israel would return to their land only to disappoint the LORD once again.  When Christ comes, they will reject Him as their Messiah and fall into more hard times.  Yet, this invitation for reconciliation continues.  This invitation is not time-sensitive.  As long as Israel exists, or Israeli people exist, this invitation is still in force.  The offer is the same to the N.T. saint.  As long as we are willing, the invitation to return is always open.  There is absolutely no infraction that would permanently turn the back of God on His children.

Over the years, I have helped many parents with wayward children.  There is something about a father’s love for a child who is wayward that is beautiful to behold.  In thinking of an example to share, there are too many which come to mind.  Never having a wayward child, I cannot relate the same way they have.  Someone from the outside can erroneously assume dad does not take his child’s sin seriously.  If the door never closes, then perhaps that child will never learn their lesson.  I have never seen a father who tolerates a child’s wicked behavior without any consequences towards the child.  There might be a temporary estrangement in place.  There might be financial consequences the child must endure.  There might be some changed locks or repossessed automobiles.  There might be a temporary banishment from family affairs.  But of all the fathers that I have helped, almost to a tee, they leave the front door, figuratively speaking, ajar.  There is always a way back.  There is always a way where a child who may have disappointed his father, can be accepted in the father’s life anew.

This is the nature of our heavenly Father.  The door is always ajar.  He will not force us to return.  But if we do, He will be at the door, waiting with open arms.  The prodigal’s father is a good example.  The prodigal had to make the first move.  He had to desire to return.  Once the desire was met with action, then the father stood with open arms and welcomed him back into his home.  The son never lost his relationship with his father.  He may have felt like he did.  As far as the father was concerned, the relationship was still in force and as strong as ever.  To know our heavenly Father will open the door each and every time we return is a comfort this erring saint holds dear to his heart.  I have disappointed my dear Father more times than I can count.  But I know His mercy fails not.  He has not changed the locks.  He has not removed my name from the mailbox.  My room is still there and my bed is made.  There is food in the pantry and He sits, waiting for me to poor my suffering heart to His earnest ear.  He welcomes me!  He reminds me I am His child for all of eternity and there is nothing that can separate me from the love of God.  So, return I must.  The door is ajar.

No comments:

Post a Comment