Thursday, June 28, 2018

One More Chance


“Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.” (Jer 26:13 AV)

This is an encouraging verse in light of what the LORD said in chapter fifteen and verse six.  The verse reads, “Thou hast forsaken me, saith the LORD, thou art gone backward: therefore will I stretch out my hand against thee, and destroy thee; I am weary with repenting.” (Jer 15:6 AV) Whether it was the fained repenting of the nation or His own repenting of judgment, it seemed as though the LORD had had enough.  It seemed as though the last nail had been nailed in the coffin of Judah.  Yet, our text indicates the LORD was giving one more chance.  Amazing!

As a parent, there were times I really didn’t want to have to correct my child.  Mostly because I was weary.  Time and again, I would have to correct him and inflict minor corporal punishment.  After repeated attempts to change behavior, maybe I just gave up for a time and let it go.  Perhaps I got to the point that I realized that no matter how sorry he felt, he would simply turn around and do it again.  So, I succumbed to the temporary temptation to simply let it go.  This is not the case above.  It is one more, and perhaps final, attempt at mercy and grace.  Like counting to three before chastisement is inflicted, the LORD is giving one more warning.  Even when He is weary of repenting, He gives one more chance.  Like our children, we seldom take advantage of that grace and amend our ways.

God is very good to us.  Too good!  He is merciful and slow to anger.  He knows how frail we are and realizes our enemies are too much for us.  The world, the devil, and especially the flesh are all overwhelming.  The LORD looks on the heart.  He sees the desire we have to live right.  He knows our frame is weak.  He knows our old man is strong.  He takes compassion and mercy on us.  One more time.  If we amend our ways, He will refrain from final judgment.  Just one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment