Thursday, June 7, 2018

God is...We Trust


“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.” (Isa 12:2 AV)

There is a seeming contradiction here.  The act of trusting is future tense.  “I WLL trust…”  Yet, the act of saving is present tense.  “…God is…JEHOVAH is…he also is…” How we feel about our circumstances does not change the present condition of them.  The writer will trust and not be afraid because at the present, God is!

It can only work this way.  It cannot work the opposite.  It cannot work in the manner that we trust, then if we trust, God becomes our salvation.  Then it becomes our trust that establishes the attributes of God.  Rather, God is what He is and we trust because of that.  A picture comes to mind.  I hate heights.  Scared to death of them.  The fear of falling is the greatest reason I repented and ask Christ to save me.  Hell is a bottomless pit.  I couldn’t even imagine the sensation of falling for all of eternity.  Imagine one of those rope bridges spanning a deep canyon below.   You have to cross it. (I couldn’t do it.  Shoot me now!) That rope bridge is either going to hold your weight, or it isn’t.  As you watch others cross safely, you are finally convinced that it is safe.  You cross that bridge.  That bridge was just as strong before you crossed it as it was when you crossed.  Crossing the bridge didn’t make it any stronger.  The strength existed before the choice. 

So too is the salvation of God.  It waits for us to trust.  Christ died for our sins 2000 years ago.  The conditions of our salvation already existed.  He did not die afresh when we trusted.  Life’s challenges and trials are the same.  God knows the future.  We are in His hand.  Our problem has always been one of trust and faith.  God has not changed.  His power is infinite.  Faith and trust are hard.  No one has a right to make light of it.  We are terrified because we need to learn to trust.  Yet, God is there.  His arms are open to catch us if we simply take a leap of faith.  He has never changed.  So, we trust in the past and present, realizing the future in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment