Thursday, September 21, 2017

Boldness from Adversity

“And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.” (Ac 4:29-31 AV)

The reaction God’s people had to the threatenings against Peter is the right reaction.  Putting myself in their place, as Peter described the actions and words of the rulers, I might have been inclined to retreat and regroup.  But what I think motivated these saints was how Peter and the others reported the facts.  If they did so with a spirit of defeat, then the church would have coward.   However, if Peter stayed true to his personality, he reported the actions and words of the rulers as a privilege to suffer for the LORD Jesus Christ.

As God’s people, we are way to easily discouraged.  We get one polite rejection and we are ready to quit.  We knock on a few hundred doors are with no results and are ready to retreat.  We get so used to retreating that we don’t even recognize and opportunity when we see on.  The other day I was treating some church members to lunch and the manager was over friendly.  On my way out the door he wished me well and hoped I would come back.  It wasn’t a statement in passing.  He actually raised the level of his voice to share that with me.  Rather than turn around and give him a tract, I was headed out the door because I had another place I needed to be.  I was expecting a phone call that was certain to come within the next few minutes or seconds.  We miss opportunities because we are used to giving up too quickly!

What we need to pray is the LORD to turn our road-blocks into boldness.  Rather than get discouraged from sharing, we need to get more bold.  Only the Holy Spirit of God can do that for us.  We need to!  By the way, it is far more fun

No comments:

Post a Comment