Saturday, June 15, 2019

Draw Deep


Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.” (Isa 12:2-3 AV)

Regardless of the trials we face in life, if we are saved, there is a well from which we can draw that will bring joy to the heart.  That is not to minimize some of the deep water which the LORD asks that we experience.  However, no matter how deep the water is, there is a deeper well from which we can draw.  This water is fresh water.  This water is filtered water.  This water is cool water.  This water is refreshing water.  This water restores the soul.  This well of water will never run dry.  All we have to do is to draw from it.

I am a city boy.  I don’t have a whole lot of experience with well water.  I definitely do not have any experience with drawing water from a well.  In my life, there were three wells that played a major part in my life.  The first was at Scout Camp.  Although the camp was on domestic water, there was a functional well with a pump on it.  Summer camp was hard work.  It was trials by fire.  For a teenager to work a summer of camp meant being pushed to one’s limit.  Specially in the heat of the afternoon, there was one source of water better than all others. That was the well with the red pump.  I remember sticking my head under that pump.  Filling my hat with well water and dumping it on my head.  But particularly, I remember cupping my hands for the water that would spew so that I could splash my face or drink from it.  This well of salvation was the well needed in times of hard labor.

Then there was the well my father put in at our family camp site.  When we camped, we truly camped.  Tent camping all the way.  Absolutely no electricity.  No running water.  No furniture.  It was roughing it.  At first, we had to use pond water for bathing and washing.  We would trek into town to fill gallon jugs with well water from a park.  But then my father had a company dig us a well.  This well provided what we needed in times of our pilgrimage.  Our day to day water that was needed for cooking and drinking.  Fresh, clean water that was always there and would never run out.  Water to get us through the day.  Water that was better than anything the surface could provide.  This well of salvation for our pilgrimage refreshes the soul on a daily basis.

Lastly, there is the well water at my in-laws.  They live in the woods away from most civilization.   Their water comes from wells dug that have in them fresh mountain water filtered by the gravel of the under-earth.  This water is the best tasting water I have ever tasted.  In our younger years, our family would go to the in-laws for times of keeping company and fellowship.  Whenever I went, I must have drunk a gallon of water.  It is simply the best tasting water of all.  This is the well water of salvation in times of fellowship.  The sweetest of all.  Water that is available to all.  Water that is free for the taking.  This water tasted even more wonderful when surrounded by the log cabin filled with laughter, love, and lounging. 
It is important to remind ourselves often of the reality of our salvation.  Whether we are going through times of trial or tribulation, growing in the journey of our pilgrimage, or simply enjoying the fellowship of the saints, it is our salvation which is our source of joy.  Not our circumstances.  If we are going through a hard time, draw from the well of salvation.  There is joy to be had therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment