Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Heart of Pastor


“For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection.” (2Co 13:9 AV)

Why don’t the people of God believe this?  Why is it they see pulpit ministry or counsel as intrusion, adversity, or of little value?  It reminds me of a three or four-year-old who wants to do everything for himself.  He learned to tie is shoe or dress himself, and all of a sudden, he thinks there is nothing for which he needs to ask for help.  Why is it the saints of God think the preacher of evangelist is being way to particular about things that they think don’t matter?  The details of life are magnified (in their estimation) and result in merely reducing the pleasures of life.  Like an adolescent who defines his parents’ rules like a plebe under the thumb of a lord, the principles of life are meant to rob the saint of happiness.  Why can’t the saint see that what the preacher really desires is for them to grow up under the nurture and admonition of the LORD to a saint who brings nothing but glory to his Savior?

A few years back, I had to get my left shoulder worked on.  I had a small rotator cuff tear and a major bone spur that resulted in near shoulder freeze.  Extreme pain to say the least.  Meds couldn’t even touch it.  The best doctor this side of the Mississippi worked miracle with my shoulder.  But then came the physical therapy.  It didn’t matter what exercise they instructed, there was wide ranging discomfort and pain associated with it.  Most was mere discomfort.  Some were actually painful at first, but shortly into the routine, the area of concern felt really good.  There was one exercise, however, I dreaded.  It was extremely painful.  They gave me a ball and I held it to a wall.  Then, using the palm of my hand, I rolled the ball against the wall and traced the alphabet.  Seems easy enough, but was it ever painful.  At first, I could only do one or two letters at a time.  It took six weeks, three times a week until I could do the entire alphabet without stopping.  The pain was excruciating.  If I didn’t know any better, I would have though these people wanted nothing but to torture me.  Two of them were my church members.  Which would stand to reason they wanted to afflict as much pain on me as I might have been doing from the pulpit.  Just kidding.  But what motivated them to insist that I experience pain and discomfort?  Did they know something I did not?

What they knew was the more pain I endured at the front end, the less I would experience once therapy was over.  They deeply desired to see me regain my range of motion.  They desired that my left arm and shoulder be restored to full health and usefulness.  But what that meant for me was to submit under their care and trust that they had my best interests at heart no matter what the present pain might be.  What I find is the saints are not using the position of pastor/teacher as we once did.  We are far too private.  We are far too removed.  The age of anonymous or fictitious electronic relationships has removed the benefit of transparent and dependent relationships.  We simply don’t need one another like we used to.  Let me say this.  Your preacher does not want to ruin your life.  He doesn’t want to take away all the blessings of life.  His deep desire for your life is your perfection!  Let him do his calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment