Friday, September 14, 2018

For What Are We Known?


“And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him.” (1Co 8:2-3 AV)

In certain circles, I have been referred to as very smart.  If the truth be known, I was a ‘C’ student at best.  Yet, there are those who are under the impression that my brain is above average.  If they only knew!  It is gratifying to receive compliments like that.  Whatever our God-given gifts might be, it is nice when others recognize it.  It doesn’t matter if we have above average intelligence, or, if we have a personality that attracts many to Christ, or, a head for finances that ensures the church is on a sure foundation.  Whatever our gifts are, it is nice that others see God’s hand on our lives.  But, there is one pattern of life that rises above all others.  Not what we can accomplish or how we can perform, but rather, how much we love the LORD.

A funny thing happens when we reach middle age.  Some call it a mid-life crisis.  I’ve never had one of those.  The way I figure it, the past cannot be undone and God’s grace overcame all my failures.  He could have gotten so much more out of my life had I made different choices, but crying over spilled milk doesn’t put it back in the glass.  What we do from today forward is the only thing we can influence.  What I ponder is if my family and friends consider me in love with my God.  That is what I wonder.  One wonders how the grandchildren will grow up.  Will they see Grandpa and one who prayed often?  Will they see Grandpa as one who loved to read his Bible and hear from the Holy Spirit?  Was Grandpa one of the people who really didn’t get caught up in the things of this world, but rather, was more interested in heavenly things? One wonders what the kids think of him.  Did Dad humbly walk with God?  Did Dad go to church because he really loved to go, or, did he go because he was supposed to go?  When Dad taught a Sunday school class, labored in VBS, or preached, did he do so with joy in his heart?  Did dad overcome adversity because he appreciated what Christ did for him?  And most of all, was Dad quick to thank God for all that He has done rather than have an endless laundry list of needs which formed his prayer?

There is a concern with how we will be remembered.  Do I care how many show up at my funeral?  Not really.  Throw my remains over the rail of a ship, I say!  Quick and to the point.  The impression that I hope all who are left behind are left with is that this saint loved God.  My fear is there is much work to do!  There are many more miles to travel and much adversity to face before this can be said of me.  The question this morning is, what do you want others to think of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment