Friday, August 26, 2022

Pleasure In Trials

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” (2Co 12:10 AV)

 

This is a very mature and special place to be, but common to those who are dramatically used of God.  One is reminded of Peter’s comments in the book of Acts when he shared he was not worthy to suffer for the name of Christ.  Note Paul takes pleasure in what most would not.  Infirmities are illnesses or weaknesses.  Paul had a thorn in the flesh that was, more than likely, vision loss.  Reproaches are severe criticisms from both the lost and saved.  Necessities are the times he was poor and in need of common things.  Yet, unable to attain them.  Persecutions were severe.  Among them, he was stoned to death at Lystra.  Distress is anxiety and worries over circumstances beyond any hope of seeing a resolution.  Paul lived a hard life.  God used him to plant churches all over the near east and eastern Europe.  When he says that he takes pleasure in these things, most people would think him odd.  But I can tell you by life’s experience that even though I would rather not suffer from them, I am grateful the LORD trusts me enough to go through them and it is often the only way we can truly experience the power of God as we never have prior. 

Forgive me for using my recent experience as an example and I hope I am not boring you, but when our doctors finally diagnosed Lisa with intestinal cancer, our lives were turned upside down.  Our cancer treatment team sprung into action.  They treated us like we were the only patients they had even though they were treating thousands.  In my experience, I know the second day after surgery is always the hardest.  When I visit church members who have had surgery, I tend to go the next day, or day four.  So, I should have been prepared for what I experienced on my wife’s third day of hospitalization.  As much as I have seen as a pastor and hospital chaplain, what I experienced should not have affected me so.  But when I saw my wife, I was struck by her complete emotional detachment from me.  She didn’t want me or my son in the room.  She asked us to go back home.  I could understand that and accept that if it was merely a reaction to pain.  But it wasn’t.  She was so uncomfortable that she had detached herself from me.  I thought something had gone on from the surgery that I lost her.  I thought she was permanently changed from the extensive surgery she had that she would never be the same and we would never share another connection.  I went home and wept as though I was at her funeral.  I wish no one would have to go through this.  As I lost it, I prayed that someone, anyone, would walk through my door to comfort my deep agony.  No one came.  And it was a good thing.  I needed some alone time with the LORD so that He could show me just how strong He is.

I won’t say that I took pleasure in it, but I am humbled that the LORD would trust me enough to go through it.  In my weakness, He was made strong.  There was no other way to learn these things.  There is no other event that we can experience that will reveal the depth of God’s attributes.  The severity of life’s experience is what brings God closer and more real to us.  This, I think, is to what Paul is referring.  He takes pleasure in them not because it felt good.  Rather, he takes pleasure because of what he learned.  And to this, I can agree.  God is so good to me and I do not deserve any of it.  Paul takes pleasure in that even though the times of which he speaks were near impossible, God revealed Himself in ways he would never have known otherwise.  The blessings that came from the trials far outshined the depths of the agony experienced.  To this end, we can agree.  We can take pleasure in that even though circumstances are not survivable in our own strength, it is in those times that we know just who and what God is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment