Friday, August 19, 2022

Moved, But Not Greatly

« To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David. » Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.” (Ps 62:1-2 AV)

 

Maybe not greatly moved, but moved nonetheless.  The Bible does not promise we can get to a point that no matter what happens, there will be absolutely no disturbances in our inner souls.  There will always be anxiety, fear, regret, etc.  But these emotions need not be overwhelming.  Just because we may be concerned does not mean we have to be paralyzed.  Our great Psalmist shares that when he is moved by the circumstances of life, he is not greatly moved.  In other words, because God is his salvation and his rock, he may have emotions, but they are under control and founded upon his faith in God.

I had a pastor who had a pilot’s license and was part owner of a Mooney single prop.  He was considering trading in his share to upgrade to a newer airplane.  He took me along for a test flight with the saleswoman.  I had never flown in a small aircraft before.  I had ridden in larger passenger jets, but never something so small.  I had even flown in a duel prop commercial plane.  Never a three-seater.  After our checks, the senior pilot took us up into the air.  Not a problem.  It was pretty uneventful.  However, when one considers buying a plane, one must put it through some rather rigorous tests.  Having never flown in a small three-seater before, even a smooth ride was a bit trying.  Then they had to do some rolls, a sixty-degree turn and were contemplating a mid-flight stall.  All with a novice in the back seat with no puke bag available.  As we flew around, my pastor tried to extol the virtues of a Mooney above other small crafts.  To say I didn’t care at all would be an understatement.  All I wanted was wheels on the ground!  I was indeed greatly moved.  Then came my opportunity for a discovery flight.  That is when an instructor takes you up and lets you fly around a bit.  I cannot remember the type of aircraft, but it was a three-seater with a joystick rather than a yoke.  Our entire flight was pleasant.  No rolls.  No stalls.  And no sixty-degree turns.  During the first experience, I was greatly moved.  The second, not at all.  Was there anxiety?  Yup.  But not nearly as much as the first.  The difference?  At the first, I had a pilot who didn’t really care how much I was being moved.  The second put my experience as the highest priority.  The point is, that one cannot fly without a little bit of concern.  But it doesn’t have to be overwhelming.

The Bible promises us perfect peace if our minds have stayed on God.  This is certainly true.  Just because there is perfect peace does not mean we won’t feel a disturbance or two.  Like ridding the rapids on Niagara River below the falls, you have perfect peace you will end the ride safely on the shore as millions have done before you.  You have no worries about your physical health or life.  However, that doesn’t mean as you take the ride that you won’t feel a bit of concern with each jostle and pitch.  It is natural to feel that way even if your mind is comforting the soul with a sure outcome.  The same is true in our journey of faith.  God will ask us to go through things we must go through in order to learn to trust him more.  By default, this means we will be moved.  The promise above is not to cease all movement.  Rather, in our moving, we will not be greatly moved.  This is what we can hope and look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment