Thursday, November 21, 2019

Obedience Before Sacrifice


To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.” (Pr 21:3 AV)

This makes perfect sense.  If we would do justice and judgment, there would be no need for sacrifice.  If we would learn to obey, then we would not need forgiveness.  The LORD will accept repentance and reconciliation.  However, He would much more prefer obedience in the first place.  Every once in a while, my father would say this phrase that cut to the heart.  After some repeated fault of which he was getting weary, I would apologize.  He would say, “Don’t tell me you’re sorry.  Just don’t do it anymore.”   What he meant by that is my apologies were running hollow if I had no intention of changing my behavior.  That is not exactly what is going on in our verse above.  The LORD’s patience and exercise of forgiveness is limitless.  He is always ready to grant forgiveness to the truly penitent.  However, He would rather we didn’t need to seek it in the first place.

One of the reasons God gave to Adam, and by extension mankind, dominion over the animal kingdom is that we might learn a relationship between the governed and the governor.  As we train the animals to serve our purposes, and reward them accordingly, we are learning the nature of the relationship between the Creator and the created.  Having several dogs over our life time, I can tell you the relationship between owner and dog can be a special one.  Not like the world is defining it today which only produces frustrated, anxious, or volatile pets.  I am speaking of training the animal to perform the calling for which it was bread.  We had that opportunity several dogs over.  In that training process, as the owner, I took great pleasure in the dog follow my lead.  I had the enjoyment of watch him or her fulfill its purpose.  One of those dogs I trained was a hunting breed.  He loved to play fetch.  He would do this all day long.  The anticipation in his eyes and the excitement manifested by a wagging tail brought me far more pleasure than having to correct him for some error.  I would rather him obey than to come to me sulking over something he knew he did wrong no matter how sad those puppy dog eyes were.

I think the older in the LORD we get, the more we understand this.  We get sick and tired of asking forgiveness.  Specially for the same infraction.  If we are weary of our sin, imagine what the LORD feels.  Our spirit agrees with the Holy Spirit that obedience is far more pleasurable than failure and forgiveness.  Don’t get me wrong.  Forgiveness and reconciliation are wonderful feelings.  But obedience, so much the more.  Look at it from the LORD’s point of view.  He is looking at it from the perspective of His glory and our benefit.  If we walk in obedience, we honor Him more than seeking forgiveness.  If we walk in obedience, He is also able to bless us for that obedience.  Which, by the way, is far more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment