Tuesday, August 13, 2019

A Special God Verses A Special Day


Speak unto all the people of the land, and to the priests, saying, When ye fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh month, even those seventy years, did ye at all fast unto me, even to me?” (Zec 7:5 AV)

These two fasts were not required under the old testament law.  The fast in the fifth month was to commemorate the destruction of the temple by Babylon.  The fast in the seventh month was to commemorate the death of Gedaliah, first governor of Judah under the authority of Babylon.  For seventy years, during the captivity, the nation marked those days of fasting as a means to remember a sad time in their history.  However sincere these fasts were, they were no unto the LORD.  They were not days set apart specifically to remember God or what God had done.  It is sort of like remembering the day or marking the day that a loved one has passed.  There is nothing wrong with these things.  This is not the LORD’s point here.  What He is conveying is that even though there is nothing wrong with these memorials, they should not take the place of true worship.  Just because our emotions may run rather high on days like this, does not mean we are having a spiritual moment.

There are special days we set apart for various reasons.  There is Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.  There are special days that a church will set apart as well.  Founder’s Day, friend day, annual social events, homecoming, etc.  There is nothing wrong with remembering these things.  These days can be very special and helpful in binding together the fellowship of God’s people.  Although we remember that which the LORD has done, it seems as though worship is not the sole reason for the remembrance.  That is ok, too.  As long as they do not take the place of regular worship or become more important than worship.  This is an easy trap into which we can fall. 

Memorial Day, July Forth, and Veteran’s day are very important to me.  Other than Christmas and Resurrection Sunday, the holidays listed above are deep in my heart.  The church services surrounding these holidays are ones that always bring tears to my eyes.  As we remember the sacrifice of those who laid down their lives, it reminds me of the One who laid His life down that I might gain eternal life.  I just finished watch a none part series on the civil war and am working my way through another series on the second world war.  This series looks at the war through the prism of how it effected three different towns.  It is more concerned with the history of certain individuals who would never be in any history book of seen of much significance in the annuals of history.  It brings to home the experiences of the average service man and woman.  It is really moving.  Watching these films deepens the humble gratitude I feel every time I see someone wearing a service commemoration cap.

This is right.  This is proper.  This is highly respectful for those who did so much for me.  But the passage above begs a question which the LORD challenges us with.  Where is He in all of this.  I have known people who can remember the details of the passing of a loved one decades later, but cannot remember any significant truth of God’s word.  They faithfully adorn the grave of someone whom they deeply loved, yet to darken the doors of a church building is an inconvenience.  I know this touched home.  I know this can hurt.  But I have lost my dear mother and a brother.  I know the pain.  But my God is much more precious to me than any human relationship and it must remain that way.  It must.

No comments:

Post a Comment