Saturday, February 26, 2022

If You Could Ask For Only One Thing...

Saying, What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee? And he said, Lord, that I may receive my sight.” (Lu 18:41 AV)

 

This question really spoke to me this morning.  One would think the request was obvious.  One would think the question did not need to be asked.  After all, this blind beggar cried out for mercy and was hushed by the crowd.  That didn’t stop him.  The more they tried to hush him, the more desperate he became.  His actions should have spoken for themselves.  Yet, Jesus still asked the question.  What is it that you want me to do for you?  Then, I turned that question on myself.  If Jesus came by and asked me what it was that I would want him to do for me, how would I answer that question?  The question suggests a one-time answer.  At least at that time.  Perhaps the blind beggar could ask for something later in life.  But right here and right now, what is it that he wants the Savior to do.  If Jesus asked me right here and right now, what is the one thing You want me to do for you?  What would be my answer?

When someone asks that question to another, there are limits.  “What can I do for you” doesn’t mean the one asking the question could do anything asked of him or her.  There are limits.  I cannot go into a restaurant and when the waitress asks me, “What can I do for you” answer, “drive me to California.”  I cannot go to the emergency room and when the receptionist asks, “What can I do for you” respond by asking for a new house.  Even if the doctor comes in and asks the same question, I cannot respond that I wish him to do beyond his ability to perform the request.  I cannot ask the doctor to mend a broken bone in a matter of minutes.  He can set it.  He can cast it.  He can prescribe pain medication.  But he cannot heal it.  I can ask the captain of a ship to sail me across the ocean, but I cannot ask him to fly me in an airliner.  There are limits to that question.  I can ask my wife to love me unconditionally, which she does.  But I cannot ask her to love me with an everlasting love as God can.  There are limits.  “What can I do for you” is a wonderful question.  It is so nice to hear someone ask it.  We can hear the sincerity behind the question.  We can hear the genuine desire to help or be a blessing.  But there are limits.

When Jesus asks the question, the only limitations on the answer are His holiness and providence.  AS long as it does not violate the word of God nor go contrary to His perfect will, the options are limitless.  So, what if the Son of God asked you what it might be that He could do for you?  How would you answer?  This reminds me of Solomon.  The same happened to him.  He could have asked for a longer life or more material blessing.  Both would have helped him to reign more effectively.  His answer was wisdom.  What is it that we would ask?  What one desire would we have that He could accomplish if we were to merely ask for it?  Would it be better health?  Would it be a better job?  Or, would the answer be more of a spiritual one?   Would it be for victory over some struggle?  Would it be more faith?  Would it be soundness of heart?  Or, how about more effective soul-winning?  What would our one answer be?  Now, Jesus doesn’t limit us to one request alone.  In fact, we are told to daily ask for God's will to be done, for our daily needs, for forgiveness from God and towards others, and a life safeguarded from temptation.  We are asked to pray for those in authority, for the men of God as they serve, for missions, other church members and their needs, and for the furtherance of God’s kingdom.  We are told to pray for much.  Therefore, this question is one of priority.  The blind beggar wanted, above all other things, to receive his sight.  What would it be for you?  What would it be for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment