Sunday, January 9, 2022

He Sits with Sinners

Since the days of our fathers have we been in a great trespass unto this day; and for our iniquities have we, our kings, and our priests, been delivered into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, and to a spoil, and to confusion of face, as it is this day.” (Ezr 9:7 AV)

And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?” (Mt 9:11 AV)

 I can identify with the underlined phrase of the first of our two verses.  I fail our LORD and Savior far more than I care to admit.  Israel had returned from 70 years of captivity in Babylon for rejecting the law.  They returned because their captors wanted them to rebuild the city of walls of Jerusalem and the Temple destroyed by their predecessors.  They had not been in Jerusalem more than a few years and they were ignoring the word of God again.  They began to intermarry with the non-Hebrew people who had settled in the land.  Ezra’s words were words of frustration.  Certainly, there were years when Israel did obey the LORD.  Over the hundreds of years from Abraham to Ezra, it was not all bad.  One can feel that way though.  I know I often do it myself.  What is important is the heart behind the words.  Ezra is broken because of the sin of the people.  When we get this way, it is a blessing to have that second verse.  Jesus sits down with publicans and sinners just like you and me.  He will sit with us to encourage us.  I will sit with us to forgive us.  He will sit with us because He loves us and is not embarrassed to call us brethren.  This is the hope of mercy that overcomes the first verse of condemnation.

One of the most precious moments I ever had with one of my children was when he had failed quite miserably.  He sat in his room sobbing.  We tried to coax him out to talk about it.  He wouldn’t come out.  He had locked his bedroom door so I told him that if he didn’t let me in, I was going to my toolbox for a screwdriver and was coming in anyway.  About a minute later, the sobbing had stopped and the doorknob turned.  The door was left ajar.  I entered and found my son on the edge of his bed with his head buried in his hands.  Something happened at school and he had gotten caught.  It was something rather embarrassing.  Through sobbing and tears, he told me the whole story.  Then a funny thing happened.  He looked at me expecting me to go ballistic.  He was waiting for me to tear into him and lose my temper.  Which I have never done with my children.  But is expected it.  Rather, I sat with him and put my arm around him, and held him close.  I could tell he was truly remorseful and figured he had punished himself more than I ever would.  What he needed to know was even though he had made a serious error in judgment, his father loved him and wanted him close despite it.  Never would I ever make him feel as though he could never reach a bar for my attention, appreciation, affirmation, and love.  NEVER!

Why is it we think the LORD is any different?  If sending His own Son to incur the wrath that we deserve isn’t proof enough, what else could He do?  Jesus sits with sinners like you and me because He understands our weakness.  He knows we can never be perfect.  At least on this side of glory.  A broken and contrite heart is what He appreciates.  The Pharisees couldn’t get this.  They couldn’t understand.  They never will.  They see God’s favor as something one earns.  The sinner knows he never can.  We sit on the edge of the bed and beat ourselves up so badly, turning our shoulder away from the One who can comfort us and wonder why we can never be filled with joy unspeakable and full of glory.  There is nothing to understand.  God’s grace and mercy are infinite.  You cannot earn it.  You must accept it.  Pride is what keeps us from it.  Humility is what showers this love upon a soul who desperately needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment