Friday, October 29, 2021

The Danger of Fretting

Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.” (Ps 37:8 AV)

Psalm 37 is a new favorite psalm of mine!  The entire psalm is an encouragement towards patience as the LORD deals with the wickedness of the world.  Our writer, David, does not elude to a specific event in his life.  Rather, he complains of the effect which the wicked inflict on him.  He is fighting the agitation that comes with the wicked ever before him.  Perhaps he is referencing Saul and all his nonsense.  Perhaps he is thinking of Joab and his foolishness.  We don't know.  What we do know is David's observation that fretting can, and often does, lead to sin.  This requires some meditation.  Fretting can lead to wrong actions.  In the advice of David, we should let it go lest sin spreads from those who cause the fretting to those who experience it.

Just the other day, I was three feet away from the grave.  I have to go to our accountant twice a month to pick up my paycheck.  Leaving his office, I walked to my car.  To my right, I hear a car horn and an engine increasing its power.  Then I heard it again, not a second later.  Looking to my right, I seek a brown sedan slowing down for a red light.  Behind that car is a black Jeep-like vehicle swerving back and forth and racing headlong towards the car stopped at the red light.  Mind you, I am parked on the right side of the street as well.  This black Jeep blew the red light and went around the sedan stopped for the light.  When he did, he started to lose control of his car.  This Jeep was headed right for me.  It happened so quickly I couldn't move.  If I opened the door, he would have taken it right off.  If I tried to jump in front of my car, I would have been crushed.  I couldn't move in the direction of the oncoming battering ram or I risk getting hit as he swerved.  all I could do was to press myself as tightly against my car and pray for the best.  This driver missed me by less than three feet.  It was not a good ordeal.  In my youth, I would have jumped in my car and sped off to try to get the license plate of that Jeep.  I would have been as reckless as he was.  I would have chased him down and perhaps even confronted him.  However, years of experience have taught me to let things go.  In my youth, I would have let this experience dictate the remainder of my day.  I would have treated those around me with less respect and appreciation they deserved.  However, my years have taught me to simply let it go.

We live in a world that is making victims of us all.  No one is safe.  Injustice abounds.  Wickedness abounds.  We should fight it as much as we possibly can.  We can speak out.  We can vote for candidates who know the difference between right and wrong.  We can pray for our leaders and our nation.  We can preach the truth.  We can speak to our neighbors about the LORD and the forgiveness that is theirs for the asking.  We can do a lot of things.  But what we should not do is fret.  When we allow our anger, frustration, anxiety, or fear to rule our lives, we often fall into wickedness ourselves.  We need to learn to let it go.  Give it over to the LORD and let Him handle it.  This is what David practiced all his life.  Sometimes he was not successful.  Most of the time he was.  This is what made David such a great leader.  He was able to compartmentalize and let things go.  So, let it go!  Give it to the LORD.  He knows what He is doing and will balance the scales.  Just let God be God!

No comments:

Post a Comment