Thursday, October 21, 2021

Most Blessed By His Countenance

For thou hast made him most blessed for ever: thou hast made him exceeding glad with thy countenance.” (Ps 21:6 AV)

Such a simple statement.  David makes this statement while serving as king.  He reflects just how much God means to him as he serves in the important office.  Being a king, he realizes the LORD’s hand is on him in ways that others will never experience.  At least to the degree he is.  However, what is true of him as a king is also true of all saints.  Just not to the same degree.  Note here why David considers himself blessed forever.  It is not his family relationships.  It is not his success as ruler of God’s people.  It is not his amassed wealth.  It is not his testimony among the heathen.  It is not in the love his nation has for him.  He is blessed forever because God’s countenance is ever before him.  The fact that God walks with him and he with God is why David feels blessed.  This enables David to endure hardships like no other.  He can face down lions, bears, and Goliath because God’s countenance is ever before him.  He can flee his father-in-law because the countenance of God is before him.  He can survive disloyalty from his wife and uncle because God is with him.  He can overcome his own son’s treachery and treason resulting in his son’s death because the countenance of God is ever before him.  David feels blessed because God is with him.

My wife and I have dates at the supermarket.  I know.  We are getting older.  Part of the ritual is to send me off to find an item and then play hide-and-seek.  I have to go aisle by aisle to find her.  I may be off on a mission to find some obscure item that is never in the aisle one would expect to find it.  What should be in the condiment aisle is somehow in the sauce aisle.  Or what should be with the pickles is somehow in the canned vegetable aisle.  Then there are the two completely separate locations for frozen meats.  Some are in the freezer section while others are near the butcher section.  Off I go, like the dutiful husband that I am, in search of our hidden treasure.  Finding my dear Lisa is sometimes challenging.  I know she is in the store somewhere.  The last time I saw her, she was in the produce.  She said she was going to the dairy next.  Checking those two places I come up empty.  If you are a steps counter, just go to the supermarket with your wife and go on an errand.  No doubt you will reach your two-mile goal.  I try to remember what she is wearing and look for her that way.  But more times than not, it is her hair that I look for.  Attached to her wonderful hair is her face.  That countenance that no one else comes close to matching.  It is that countenance that reminds me I am most blessed of all.

As special as my best friend is, I have a friend that sticks closer than a brother.  He never leaves me nor forsakes me.  I am so blessed to have Jesus as my Savior and experience His countenance every waking moment of my day.  Even when I mess up and sin against Him, He is quick to forgive.  He hastily restores my wandering heart and lets me know that His love for me has not changed.  Life may be difficult.  We may not have out of life what we truly desire.  However, if we know Jesus as our Savior, we are blessed forever.  There is no reason to be downtrodden over the limits of this life.  He is the greatest of all our possessions.  His countenance is that which brightens every day.  It is His face that brings security, fulfillment, and peace.  It is His countenance that never leaves even though there are times we may not sense Him.  He is still there and for that reason alone, we are most blessed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment