Friday, October 8, 2021

Future Perfection Fuels Present Goals

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.” (1Jo 3:2-3 AV)

 

Knowing we will be transformed into the likeness of Christ, we should be motivated towards change in the present.  What is particularly interesting is the first part of the underlined phrase.  The hope of that change within us is the power unto transformation!  John is right to remind us that what we will be is not what we are.  "And it doth not yet appear what we shall be."  This does not mean we lack understanding of what we will be.  Reading of Jesus Christ in the Old and New Testaments gives us a good picture.  We will be like Him.  Therefore, if we can see somewhat the nature of our Savior, we will understand what we will be.  At least to a point.  The key is hope.  Do we hope for it?  Do we yearn for the day when our vile bodies will be replaced with perfect bodies that cannot sin?  Do we look forward to the day when our old man is completely destroyed and replaced by the perfect new man fashioned after the image of Christ?  The hope of perfection by transformation into Christlikeness should be the hope that motivates us towards that change in the present.  If we are not motivated towards that change in the present, then perhaps we should check our faith in the future.

Although the following example is not perfectly comparable, there is a lesson in it.  After my shoulder surgery, I was sent to a physical therapist.  The first thing the therapist did was an evaluation.  She asked what my goals were.  How much use of my shoulder did I want to restore?  What activities did I want to pursue?  Golf, duh!  Hunting, duh!  She then asked that I lay flat on the table.  She took this giant ruler and compass.  Measurements were taken.  Restriction of movement was noted.  She then had me sit up and showed me how much movement I had.  Then she compared that movement with the movement that was possible.  Using the adjustable giant ruler and compass, she showed the degree of angle I presently had and what was possible if I were to seriously apply myself to the regimen she had laid out.  She gave me a picture of what the future could be if I simply did the best I could do.  She promised I would be able to swing a golf club.  She promised I would be able to pull back a bow.  All I had to do was get a picture in my head of what would be, and work to that end.  The hope of being pain-free and total range of motion was the motivation to undergo treatment.

Now, this illustration falls flat in several ways.  We cannot work to perfection all on our own.  The Holy Spirit is both the power and the ability to do so.  Second, that which we see will be given at our glorification.  The Father will completely transform us into the likeness of the LORD Jesus under His own power and without our help.  Third, although hypothetically possible, dealing with the old man makes perfection practically impossible.  However, the point can still be made that if we can get a vision for the blessings of Christlikeness and not merely the goal, then we will strive for that in this present evil world.  If we have the hope of perfection and realize the blessings such perfection will bring, then we will pray, yield, and strive towards walking in obedience to the word of God.  To that end, if we have the hope of glorification within, then we will strive for it without!

No comments:

Post a Comment