Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Sure-footed

“He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.” (Ps 121:3 AV)

We know this promise is prophetical and Messianic in nature, but the same principle applies to all of God’s children.  This promise is not one of absolute tranquility and prosperity.  Jesus went to the Cross, after all.  Jesus was not protected from every adversarial situation possible.  He suffered hunger.  He suffered loss.  He suffered pain.  He suffered thirst.  Jesus did not live a carefree life without trouble or trial.  This is not the meaning of the promise.  Clearly, it did not work out that way.  Rather, the promise is one of divine purpose in balance with divine protection.  Both must be considered.  God will not allow us to suffer hardship that would cause us to lose hope and strength in His person.  He will not allow us to be tried above that which we are able.  This is the meaning of the first part of the promise.  The wind may blow us around, but the storm will not uproot us.  The second half of the verse is the foundation of the first half.  A God who does not slumber is both active and attentive.  He knows exactly what is going on and is involved in the circumstances of life.  What I particularly take away from this promise the my unmovable foot!  That is all I pray for.  Not the removal of all trouble, but when it happens, I will endure through it with the glory of God as my standard.

Learning to ice skate was an adventure.  Ice skating and swimming were two skills upon which my father insisted we learn.  The latter made complete sense.  It was a safety thing.  If we learned to swim, we could go near water without my parents being nervous.  Ice skating, on the other hand, was for pure enjoyment.  Living in an area of the country where ice was available from November to April, ice skating was one of those things we did to keep ourselves occupied.  We all learned the same way.  My father got us these strap-on double-bladed skates that strapped on over our boots.  Onto the ice, we would go.  Between our father’s legs.  He would hold us up and teach us the find our balance.  Then he would show us out to glide.  Once we seemed to get that down, he would hold us by one hand rather than by two between his legs.  All the while, we would slip and sometimes fall.  But he was always there to hold us up, right us, and get us back on the way to learning how to skate all by ourselves.  It didn’t take very long.  An hour or two and we were flying around the rink.  Dad didn’t keep us from getting hurt.  Getting hurt was sometimes the only way we would learn.  Dad didn’t promise us we would sprain an ankle, bruise a knee, or maybe even cut a lip.  What he did do was to keep us from life-changing injuries or getting discouraged. 

What I see in the promise above is not the absence of all trouble.  I don’t see the LORD promising that no matter what life might bring, I will never be stressed, fearful, or worn out.  What I do see is a promise of endurance.  What I do see is the promise that I might bend, but because God doesn’t sleep, I will not break.  What I do see is even though I might fail the LORD more than I care to think about, in the end, He will enable me to do more for Him than I realize.  What I see is not perfection in this life.  I don’t see a promise of absolute success in all that I do.  I don’t see the end of all battles.  What I do see is an ever-present God who has my life and soul in the palm of His hand and He will keep me in the center of His will no matter what!  Praise the LORD!

1 comment:

  1. Ever trusting in the Lord is all we can do

    ReplyDelete