Sunday, November 8, 2020

Only Surrender Can Bring Joy

And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Mt 26:39 AV)

 

Most will recognize this prayer of our LORD as the prayer He prayed three times in the garden of Gethsemane.  Three times He asked the Father than the cup of God’s wrath be taken from Him.  However, three times He relented to the will of the Father.  There are so many ways in which to consider this verse.  The implication of God’s love for the sinner over He wrath poured out on His Son is beyond moving.  The willingness of the Savior to suffer for the sin of which we are guilty is humbling.  The fact the Son did not look forward to the wrath of the Father, yet willing to suffer it anyway is another truth that moves us to somberness.  But what impressed me this morning is the shear surrender of the Son to the Father.  Separate and apart from the nature of the surrender, it is the surrender itself that moves the spirit this morning.  To be Christlike is to emulate His character and actions.  Even to the degree of complete surrender to the will of the Father.  I believe this surrender, in the life of every saint, will be tested in the coming days.  The forces of evil are quickly advancing on the human race.  We have enabled it.  We are encouraging it.  With the advancement of evil comes a challenge for the saint.  Will he or she surrender to the will of the Father, or to the will of the world.  To whom will we totally surrender?

When I was around ten years old, I had to have a tonsillectomy.  My dear mother took me to the doctor and my frequent troubles, I am sure, were discussed.  I had a fever.  The doctor took one look at my swollen tonsils and announced they had to come out.  So, the appointment was made and my dear mother took me to the hospital.  I remember having to get undressed and into my hospital gown.  Praise the LORD my Mom was there.  She kept me from getting completely embarrassed.  I remember being wheeled into the OR.  I remember the doctors and nurses trying to make me feel comfortable.  Then I remember the mask being placed over my face.  I remember the technician telling me to count backward for one-hundred.  I remember resolving in my mind that I was not going to let them do anything.  I took one big breath and held it.  My goal was to get all the way to zero before I had to take another breath.  These monsters were not going to cut into me!  No way!  I think I got to 97.  Then it was lights out.  Fast forward to a few years ago.  I turned fifty and had to have that ‘fifty test’ if you know what I mean.  That test where they check for cancer growth in the inward parts.  Same thing.  They hooked me up and got ready to go.  But this time, rather than a mask, the sleepy medicine was administered by IV.  My reaction was quite different.  I felt that medicine hit and it felt wonderful.  I wanted more!  I went out like a light.  It was great.  The first time, I fought my circumstances and lost.  The second, I surrendered to them and enjoyed it much!

When we look at the above passage and compare it with another, we see this balance.  The Bible tells us, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Heb 12:2 KJB)  There was agony in the Garden.  But there was joy on the Cross.  There was blood-sweat and tears as He asked for another way of redemption for mankind than to have to suffer the wrath of the Father, but there was a love-filled heart overflowing with joy as He was cruelly beaten and hung for sake of the sheep.  There may have been tears in the garden, but there was a smile on the cross.  Why?  Total surrender.  That was the difference.  Whether we like to entertain the reality that is coming or not, it will come anyway.  There is persecution coming.  We cannot stop it.  God has always allowed mankind freedom of choice.  That would include rebellion.  He will judge it thoroughly.  Of that, you can be sure.  However, in the meantime, this means the saints will have to endure through very difficult times.  What will make this time a time of joy rather than regret is surrender.  May we all learn of the nature of the prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane and begin to pray if even today!

1 comment:

  1. Enduring the cross for the joy that was set before Him! Amen! So must we endure for the joy that is set before us! Amen!

    ReplyDelete