Saturday, January 12, 2019

Age Changed Perspective


And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.” (Ge 47:9 AV)

It is amazing what aging does to one’s perspective.  This is the same Jacob that had to flee from his brother Esau.  This is the same Jacob who was deceived and used by his father-in-law for twenty years.  This is the same Jacob whose daughter was raped by neighbors.  This is the same Jacob whose two sons avenges their sister’s rape and brought a scourge upon Jacob and his family for said avenging.  This is the same Jacob who believed his second youngest son was dead.  This is the same Jacob who was terrified of meeting his brother Esau in the wilderness after twenty years of resentment.  This was the same Jacob who was, at present, financially suffering because of a drought.  This was the same Jacob who had to bury his beloved wife in the wilderness after she gave birth to Benjamin.  This are only the major setbacks that we know of.  Surely, having lived 130 years, Jacob had seen a lot.  

Yet, his perspective has changed.  Reflection upon his life sees blessings far more than the cursing.  That is what age will do for you.
I was chastened rather soundly by my youngest just recently.  I refer to myself as ‘old’ even though I am middle aged.  Going through as many trials of faith as my wife and I have, it tends to take a toll on one’s well-being.  I may be only middle aged, but I feel like the grave is just around the corner.  LOL.  One interesting aspect of aging is patience.  We have learned a lot of patience.  We have also learned that trouble may not be as large as it seems at the time of its coming.  We have also learned that by the grace of God we have survived everything thrown at us.  Looking back at the trials of faith, we can see how the LORD used those times to nature us emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  From the first major health issue that faced our new-born son, to unemployment, to the ever-present physical troubles of today, God is in control of it all and because we have trusted Christ as Savior, we have nothing to fear.

Jacob was right.  Few and evil have been the days of my pilgrimage.  From being the victim of armed robbery to having to say goodbye to the dearest on earth to me, few and evil have been the days of my life.  We are truly blessed.  If we could only see just how blessed we are.  If salvation in Christ was the only thing God every did for me, I would indeed be the most blessed of all people.  God is good.  All the time.  He truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment