Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Jesus Had Compassion

“So Jesus had compassion [on them], and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.” (Mt 20:34 AV)

The compassions of the LORD, they fail not!  There is not deep theological application here.  No rebuke. To profound truth.  Simple compassion.  Compassion of the LORD.  These two men were blind.  Blind for a very long time.  They cried out for the mercy of God and the LORD heard their cries.  He asks what it is they need.  There only response was that they might receive their sight.  The LORD had compassion.  That is the message.  The LORD had compassion.

It was the summer of 1981.  I had just finished my junior year of high school.  My father got a new job and we moved 90 minutes away from all my friends.  Going to a new High School was actually the easy part.  It was at that school, free from the reputation of our family in my home town (all good, by the way) that I was no longer the dweeb that others picked on.  I was able to wear more adult cloths to school and not get mocked.  Athletes respected me because I help them pass Physics.  I may not have been the most popular, but I was no longer disrespected.  However, there were no real close friends.  All my childhood friends lived too far away.  With graduation looming on the horizon, I had no plan.  No hope for the future.  Lonely and without any purpose of life, I toyed with the idea of suicide.  But, God knew what he was doing.  He had to get me alone so that all the noise of life did not distract me for the reality of my lost soul!  I had to be confronted with my most pressing need – salvation in Christ.  With the ministry of a faithful soul-winner, the LORD heard my cries of loneliness, purposelessness, and sinfulness.  On March 28, 1982, Jesus had compassion on me and saved my soul!  The result was I followed Him!


When someone shows compassion on us, we usually try to pursue some sort of relationship with him or her.  Depending on the measure of compassion, our relationship may be deeper or not.  Christ gave His life for me!  He died in my place!  He gave me a purpose.  He filled the void of loneliness!  He resolved my guilt!  He did it all.  The least that I can do is follow Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment