Sunday, August 20, 2017

In Good Times or In Bad - Rejoice

“Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither [shall] fruit [be] in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and [there shall be] no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God [is] my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ [feet], and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.” (Hab 3:17-19 AV)

Whatever the circumstances of life, we should strive to rejoice in the LORD, specially for salvation.  The prophet knows the LORD will visit Israel and Judah for their transgressions.  He knows the LORD will make barren the land.  He knows that he personally did not contribute to the disobedience yet will suffer with it because of association.  He knows harder times are coming.  But one thing never changes.  That is, God is His God of salvation.  He will keep him through it.  The LORD will give him a song in his heart no matter how dire the situation around him.  This is what separates the spiritual from the carnal!

I have to brag on my Mom a bit, here.  She has diabetes and has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.  She had it beat for a bit, but now it has come back and is beginning to spread to other parts of her body.  They are going to put her on a new and stronger treatment program.  One that will cause her to lose her hair.  I made a funny by telling her she can start wearing wigs like the ladies do where I live.  Her response brought bouts of laughter.  She recalled the day when she did wear a wig.  I remember seeing it sitting on her dresser.  This period didn’t last very long.  She was always afraid it would fly off if she bent over, sneezed, or a gust of wind blew up. She was so paranoid it would fall off, she hardly ever wore it.  Then she told me of an embarrassing event in her teen life and it taught her never to stress about a thing.  So, she will proudly wear her bald head with a scarf on occasion, but what she said next spoke volumes.   She said, “all the trials of life will seem but a distant memory in light of eternity!”  What a lady!  My mother knows how to laugh and rejoice in the face of adversity!  A lesson we could all learn.


Which brings us back to our passage.  No matter how difficult life might be, if we have trusted Christ, then we are saved and heaven bound.  Nothing can change that!  Let us rejoice in the God of our salvation and rely upon Him as our strength, and the trouble we are faced with may not seem so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment