Sunday, January 21, 2024

A Mockery

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.” (Ga 6:7-8 AV)

When we preach these verses, we usually hone in on the phrase, “for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall his also reap”.  But did you ever stop to think when we habitually live in the flesh, we are mocking God?  Yes, this passage speaks of God’s consistent justice.  The warning is if we continue in sin, God must judge. Otherwise, He is mocked.  But did you ever stop and consider a life of flesh-pleasing is a mockery to God?  This morning, that one word really hit me.  I don’t know why it has never hit me like this before.  I wish it had.  I may not have made many of the wrong choices which were part of my life.  To habitually please the flesh, when it is not part of God’s will to do so, mocks God.  That is a sobering thought.

As someone in a position of authority, I know how this feels.  Mockery is part of the job description.  Whether a parent, teacher, pastor, or pol, mockery is something you expect.  When it happens to your face, it is a tough thing to experience.  What hurts the most is not the brief sting it inflicts on your ego.  Rather, wanting to earn the respect of those who are subject to you, you realize you never really will.  That hurts.  That is when you take the mockery personally.  When the whole class is against you, it is particularly hurtful.  However, I think the one experience I have had that hurt the most was when I was dating for the first time.  I was misled by this young lady.  She was lost and wanted to date me.  I told her the Bible forbids me to date someone who was lost.  So, she went to church and ‘got saved’.  So, we started to date.  I was young and naïve.  She led me along for a few months and when she realized she would never get what she wanted, she broke it off.  It was bad enough that my first experience in courting ended as such.  But what was even worse was how she treated me following the breakup.  We worked at the same place.  After we closed, she would sit in the parking lot, drinking with co-workers.  And, when I came out, they would shout insults and such at me.  It was pure mockery.  That hurt more than words can say.

So, when I saw this word again, it hit me that when I succumb to the flesh, I am mocking God.  I know He is not me.  I cannot attribute human reactions to God because He is holy and we are not.  However, what I can safely assume is my mockery does affect a God who loves me more than I can understand.  The thought of mocking someone who loves me as much as He does is an extremely uncomfortable thought.  Why would anyone do that?  I love my wife more than life itself.  I would never think of mocking her.  Ever.  I am sure I may have done so on a rare occasion, but never in front of others.  That would hurt her way too much.  If I would never mock my wife, why would I consider capitulating to the flesh and mocking God who loves me more than my wife ever could?  That thought is one that should haunt us.  This idea that sin is a mocker to God should never leave our minds or hearts.  Maybe then we would live more for Jesus than we ever have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment