Thursday, November 17, 2022

Flip The Light Switch

As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” (Joh 9:5 AV)

 

Ironically, Jesus says this just before he cures a man born blind.  The truth is obvious.  As long as Jesus Christ is a major part of the human race, then there is always hope and life.  To the degree the human race wishes to extinguish the LORD is the degree of hopelessness and darkness it will suffer.  This truth is lost on the majority of the world.  They cannot conceive how much God means as the source of life and happiness.  They cannot understand the more they allow Christ to influence the world, the better off the world is.  Even if they do not personally accept Him as their Savior, His influence from the people of God is still beneficial to all.  The light of the world is indeed, Jesus.  There is coming a day when the world will totally remove the influence of the LORD.  In those seven years, the human race will suffer as it never has before.  Rather than see the error of their ways, they will blame God for their circumstances.  Never will it cross their mind they removed the source of life and contentment because they refused all of His ways.  Only when Jesus is lifted up will the world have light and life.  This truth must permeate the life of the saint.  He or she must resolve to share the love of Christ even if rejected.  The more it is shared, the more influence Jesus has.  The more influence Jesus has, the more light and life will come into this dark world.

Recently, I bought a rechargeable lantern.  I use it when I walk the dog at night.  Our street lights are not all that bright and when the sky is overcast or there is rain on the streets, it can get pretty dark.  Most would consider my lantern overkill.  I originally got the lantern for nighttime soul-winning.  The intention was to carry it lit onto unlit porches so those answering the door would not be alarmed.  That never materialized, so I use it primarily to walk the dog at night.  Until the snow comes and amplifies the ambient light, I will use my lantern.  An amazing thing happens when I carry this light.  I am blessed with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  A Cav, for short.  My Cav, like all Cavs, is cutter than a button.  It never fails that someone passing by in a car will smile at the sight of my dog.  If they only knew!  Anyway, that lantern does an amazing thing.  It adds to the charm of my Cav.  At night, a passing car may slow down because the light illuminates the dog above me.  How dare he!  He gets more attention than I do.  I am lost to the darkness.  The sidewalk and ground are dark.  My little Toby is mostly white.  So, when that lantern shines, he becomes the center of attention.  Just like he likes it.  Those who slow down to look at my dog may not be dog people.  They may never have one of their own.  But my contrasting white dog against a dark night brings a bit of joy to those passing by.

This is what we do not understand.  I experience this each and every time I go door-knocking.  Almost all those to whom we speak will reject Jesus.  They want nothing to do with Him.  Yet, speaking to them briefly and wishing them well spreads a little bit of the love of Christ.  They may be offended the LORD requires their repentance and humility.  They may be set in their ways and attend a house of worship that leads them astray.  But to say a kind word and love on them despite their rejection and hatred is spreading the light of Christ.  As long as we do this, He is the light of the world.  As long as believers continuously and infectiously spread the spirit of Christ to a lost and dying world, there will be hope and light.  We are coming up on Christmas time.  We have lost the meaning.  It is about presents, Santa, and other less spiritual traditions.  This year, perhaps the saints of the world will give the gift of love and appreciation to our fellow human beings.  Maybe if we remind others that Christ and His love is the message of the season our sorry planet will be a little lighter.  It may become a little more hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment