Saturday, October 1, 2022

Praying for Quality of Life

Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me.” (Ps 119:175 AV)

 

The first request is both literally and figuratively.  David is seeking a lengthened physical life.  But he is also asking for a quality of life.  He desires not only to live as long as he can but also to have a life that is conducive to praise and thanksgiving.  The second is conditional on the first.  If the LORD were to grant his request for a long life that is also a full one, then he would also seek the guidance of God’s judgments as his help in the life that he seeks.  The judgments could also be that which helps the writer gain the life his soul seeks.  Which would also make sense.  Burdens have a way of sapping the life out of the soul.  It is in these times of weakness, we can also be susceptible to temptations.  It was in his aged years when he was weakened that David made the mistake of numbering the people.  When we are burdened down with trials of faith, our soul does not have a quality of life that makes obedience and faith an easy pursuit.  Just the opposite.  When we are at our wit’s end and there seems to be no strength left, the flesh, world, and devil seem to know it.  It is in those times we might consider praying the above prayer.  Father, let my soul live and I shall praise thee.  And in my weakened state, let thy judgments help me.

I know the comparison is slight, but it might be helpful.  As trials go, mine was rather minor.  Others are facing far worse than I ever have.  But the nature of the truth is still the same.  Pain will sap the life out of anyone.  This was especially true when my left shoulder went bad.  There was a bone spur that we three inches long by an inch high.  Over time, the pain got excruciatingly worse.  My doctor tried pain pills and anti-inflammatories.  He tried physical therapy.  He was trying to avoid surgery.  He tried everything he could think of.  Nothing worked.  As that bone spur grew bigger and bigger, my pain level matched it.  The pain was so high that it changed my personality.  It was so bad that a simple five-minute car ride was almost impossible.  It was my wife’s birthday when I finally came to the end of myself.  The surgeon had to do something or I would.  This pain defined me.  It organized my life.  It affected everything.  My life was all about pain management and getting through each minute of each day.  I did not have a life.  My soul was empty.  All I wanted was relief.

The writer knows quality of life matters just as much as length of life.  He knows that if he is asked to suffer more than he can endure, it would be difficult to praise the LORD to the great congregation.  Not that he would be bitter, impatient, or resentful.  It is just that the circumstances of life would be stronger than the desire to praise God for all His goodness.  The psalmist is asking for a quality of life that is conducive to active praise for God.  If the LORD would grant that, he is asking that the word of God might be the source and guidance of life.  Not necessarily that all that ails him to be removed, but that the word of God would offer answers, encouragement, and guidance as he navigates the difficult times of life.  This desire is a common one among the saints.  If we can see a purpose in what we are facing; and in particular, the cause of worship and praise through it; we will endure anything.  If we know what God is trying to accomplish and yield to His gracious hand, then praise will come naturally.  All our writer desires are the strength for life and that in the interim of a change, he be given a quality of life that results in praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment