Monday, October 26, 2020

Doggie Don't

As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.” (Pr 26:11 AV)

 

As a beloved dog owner of many years, I can tell you that when a dog returns to his vomit, it is not a pretty picture.  In fact, a dog doesn’t do this occasionally.  He does this every time.  The picture here, without getting too gross, is an animal that desires to consume again that which just made him sick.  Again, without getting into much detail, research suggests the one reason dogs return to their vomit is that it smells and tastes good.  At least to them.  It never dawns on the dog that which made them sick will make them sick again.  All they see is something that will give immediate gratification without remembering the long term effects.  We cringe when our dogs do that.  When I hear my dog begin to wretch, I immediately go for paper towel so when he is done, I can clean it up before he has a chance to return to it.  The fool who continues to do the same thing again and again even though the consequences are revolting is no wiser than a dog.

And here is probably where you would expect a gross story of one of my dogs.  They are too numerous.  Plus, we get the picture.  In the Charlie Brown cartoon strip and animated series, there is a common storyline weaved throughout different appearances or major themes.  It is the challenge of Charlie to kick a football while Lucy holds it.  Lucy promises to tee up the ball and keep it stationary so Charlie can run up and kick it.  At the last second, Lucy pulls the ball away and Charlie goes flying through the air to land straight on his back.  There he lays, in agony, wondering why he ever trusted Lucy.  This would be forgivable if it was a one-time event.  However, each time Lucy offers a new line of reasoning as to why she will hold the ball stationary, Charlie takes the bait.  Then again, he is found sailing through the air to land straight on his back.  The last frame usually has a response to Charlie as to the flaw in her reasoning which he should have noticed and not taken the bait.  No matter how many times Lucy pulls that football away, Charlie is always willing to give it one more try.  He cannot resist.  Seeing that football sail through the uprights is his ultimate prize.  Even if he knows, deep down inside, it will never happen, he tries anyway.  Knowing his choice will cause pain, he cannot help himself.  Maybe this time it will be different.

I have noticed that generally speaking if a dog returns to his vomit, he is usually sickened afterward.  He may not vomit again, but he definitely has an off day.  This picture should be the one when we come to ourselves and realize our habitual choices make for bad outcomes.  The next time we suffer for our choices, we need to stop and dwell on the reality it will never be any different.  No matter how much we want it to be, it will never turn out in our favor.  I and duck do not go together well.  I tried it twice and both times spent a lot of time bowing to the porcelain god.  You don’t have to tell me that duck is not something I should eat.  I am not even tempted to try it again.  Even if it is Peking or Orange duck.  No thank you.  I will stick with the rice.  This is how we should treat all sin.  It doesn’t take a brilliant person to notice a pattern of consequences following wicked choices.  It’s not that hard to discern.  It doesn’t take a smart person to realize that no matter how many times we try it, it will never turn out well.  As I look at my dog returning to his vomit, I am repulsed.  I am shocked.  I am wondering if he will ever learn.  Then I must ask myself the same thing.  Will I ever learn that sin, although it may initially look or taste good, I will wretch it right back up all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment