Sunday, August 16, 2020

Encouragement From Prison

 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” (Jer 33:3 AV)

Jeremiah received this word while in the prison.  He was let down into a pit of more and muck.  This was made real to me when we took a missions trip to Ireland.  We visited Ross castle which we very near the Gap of Dunloe.  On the outside, it didn’t strike one as overly impressive.  But I do remember some of the insides.  I remember the banquet room very well.  The table was massive and the trophy mounts if now extinct Irish elk were impressive.  But one feature stood above them all.  The access to the dungeon was right off the great room.  It was very small.  They allowed visitors to descend into the pit, but it was discouraged.  Access was extremely tight.  Personally, I did not go down.  It was interesting in the fact it was restored far better than it was originally kept.  Completely painted and kept immaculately clean, that would not have been the condition almost a millennia ago.  It would have been dark, slimy, filthy, and unbearable.  This is the condition of our prophet and this is the context of which the above word of encouragement came to our man of God.  The exact meaning of this promise is that which the Spirit desires we consider.

If I am Jeremiah, I would hope the word above was the LORD’s way of telling me I shouldn’t lose hope because I would soon be taken out of that place.  He would be, but that is not what follows this divine suggestion.  If I am Jeremiah, I would hope this verse above was news that my situation would not be as unbearable.  I would hope this word of encouragement meant my suffering would soon be made a bit easier.  Especially since I had served the LORD so faithfully in a seemingly hopeless situation.  If I am Jeremiah, I am thinking that I gave my life to preach the word of God to a generation that would not heed a word.  Surely, that would have earned a respite from the persecution  I might now feel.  If I am Jeremiah, I am thinking the word above applied to my case because of all those years of mistreatment and no results.  Surely, the LORD would be kind to me for all that I have done for His glory.  If I am Jeremiah, I am thinking that perhaps the princes that defended me a few short months or years ago would take pity on me and free me.  Which they would eventually do.  But not until he has suffered a bit.  If I am Jeremiah, I am hoping the word above meant those who cast me into the dungeon would pay for their rebellion and I would be vindicated as soon as this word was spoken.

This is not what follows the verse above.  What follows is God’s promise of benevolent restoration to the children of God.  What follows is not good news for Jeremiah specifically, rather, the good news of restoration for the very nation that had plunged him into misery.  This may not seem like good news to Jeremiah, but those who are called into the service of declaring God’s word understand this.  Years ago, I did a boo-boo.  I vented.  Given the opportunity to preach, knowing that I was not in the right frame of spirit, all I did was to complain about the situation of which I found myself.  I was soundly chastened by two young preachers who followed me.  I deserved some of what they said.  However, they did remark that I should put up with all the abuse because they sacrifice to pay my paycheck and meet my needs.  They were young.  They will learn.  What they did not understand is that the majority of my frustration was not envy, resentment, or malice.  Rather, frustration over my congregation’s lack of desire to more completely walk with God and the consequences that would come of it.  I would have gladly given up any remuneration if they would simply surrender to God and live right.  This was the source of my frustration.  So, when Jeremiah received word that Israel, one day, would repent and walk after the God whom he served, even though he was knee-deep in the mire, it was all the encouragement he needed!  If God’s people, who are called by God’s name, would humble themselves, hear His voice, and obey His word, the man of God can, does, and will endure any hardship that comes his way with joy in his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment