Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Measure of Wisdom


A reproof entereth more into a wise man than an hundred stripes into a fool.” (Pr 17:10 AV)

The measure of a person’s character is what it takes to correct him.  Reproof is the mildest of all forms of correction.  According to our friend Webster, reproof is “Blame expressed to the face; censure for a fault; reprehension; Blame cast; censure directed to a person.”  Rebuke is the next step up.  There is action taken.  There are checks or restraints added.  Note in our verse the comparison to of extremes with no middle ground as relevant.  The wise man will react wisely when gently corrected.  The fool, on the contrary, will not change his ways no matter how much pain is inflicted.  The opposites are compared so that all the range in between becomes the point.  That which it takes to change our behavior is the measure of our character.  That which it takes to correct behavior is an indication of how deeply rooted our faults are.  How we choose to respond to correction is the measure of our maturity.

There are several things I miss.  We moved from the country to a large city.  I miss, most of all, my hunting trips with my good buddy, Bunk.  Bunk is one of the most humble men I have ever met.  He is a simple-hearted man who doesn’t have an enemy in the world.  He is a man of strong character who does not compromise what he believes, but at the same time, carries himself in a very unassuming way.  We spent hundreds, if not thousands, or hours in the deer woods.  I’ve never moved and secured more tree stands in those nine years than I have the rest of my life combined.  The thing is, when it came to thinking out a plan and executing it, Bunk and I could have been labeled fools.  We learned a lot of lessons.  Unfortunately, they were learned the hard way.  With stripes!  To make us feel better about our misdeeds, we called them adventures.  One such adventure ended with physical maiming.  All because this hunter would not listen to his buddy.  My friend Bunk, in his younger years, used to coach girls basketball.  He knew how important hydration was to the one exerting physical energy.  He would constantly ask if I needed water.  It was really annoying.  That is until I blew out my calf muscle.  Even today, three years later, my left foot is in so much pain because I didn’t listen to my buddy tell me I needed to drink water.  I was the fool.  You would think I learned my lesson.   But no.  Fast forward a few years and I sat in a golf cart with my father-in-law.  He, too, is a believer in hydration.  What do I do?  Refuse the offer of water.  Low and behold, guess who is too sick to eat any lunch? 

The key is to allow that correction to enter in.  This is where I failed.  Why didn’t I listen?  Pride.  I didn’t want someone to think I was dependent upon their opinion.  That is a fool.  I was a fool.  In some ways, I still am.  How many times do we go to the doctor and he tells us we need to change our life’s habits if we want to improve or maintain our quality of life.  Do we?  How many times do we ignore the advice of parents, a spouse, our an author only to realize we would have been much better off if we did?  How many times do we listen to the sermon, takes notes, laugh at the anecdotes, and admire the hand of the Holy Spirit only to go our way relatively unchanged?  It will be more than a blown-out calf muscle.  It could be a heap of damage we pile up.  It could be a diagnosis that cuts to the heart of both us and those whom we love.  Why?  All because we would not let the reproof of God’s word or voice to enter the heart and change it.  Correction is not comfortable.  It never is.  But consequences are a whole lot more painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment