Thursday, September 7, 2023

Don't Be Harder On Yourself than God is

“But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.” (1Co 4:3 AV)

To what Paul is referring is man’s judgment compared with God’s judgment.  The Corinthian church was very superficial and carnal.  In a later passage, Paul remarks how his personality was at issue with the church at Corinth.  They didn’t appreciate his blunt manner.  Paul was treading and uphill climb with this church.  Throughout both letters, Paul felt he had to justify his ministry to them so they would heed his advice.  The above verse is not what we might think it means. In fact, I have heard it incorrectly applied in the past.  It is common to assume Paul is being defensive here.  It might be assumed he is telling the Corinthian church to back off.  If he does not judge himself, what right does the church have to judge him?  But this is not what Paul is suggesting.  The verse that follows gives us the relevant context of Paul’s statement above.  It is God who judges.  Not man.  Paul is not judged by the values of the Corinthian church.  His is judged according to God’s values.  It is the second part of the verse to which I wish to draw attention.  Paul does not judge himself according to his own values.  He yields to God’s judgment and His values.  We might agree wholeheartedly with Paul on this.  But the truth of the matter is, we don’t live that way.

We live under our own values and expectations and frequently find ourselves coming up short.  We forget God’s objectives and values.  We tend to place our own over His.  One of my most memorable moments playing Little League baseball was not a good one.  I played outfield and was a pitcher.  My batting skills were atrocious.  Not because I lacked athleticism.  For me, it was a mind game.  When I got to the plate, I was too easily intimidated by the experience and eventual failure that would result.  This meant my batting statistics were not all that good.  It was a playoff game for us and it would turn out to be our last game of the season.  We were down by several runs and if we lost the game, our season was over.  It was the bottom of the ninth.  Two outs.  There were two guys on base and if we could keep the game going, there was hope.  My number was called to go to bat.  Not good.  As hard as I tried, I struck out and the game ended.  The season ended.  And I took it all on myself.  I was uncontrollably sobbing.  My coach was the first to console me.  I tried my best and that was all that mattered.  The team was coxed into consoling me as well.  It was alright.  There is always next year.  Besides, we were the worst team in the league anyway.  It wasn’t like we had high hopes.  I learned a lesson that day.  One that I have repeatedly forgotten and had to relearn.  Sometimes I take too much upon myself and I let my own judgment discourage me rather than seek God’s opinion.

Paul will later tell this church the examine themselves in light of partaking in the LORD’s supper.  There is a time and a place for self-evaluation.  What we must do is conduct self-evaluation in the light of God’s words and not our own expectations.  We have been given ten, five, or one talent.  To judge ourselves as though we have ten when in reality we only have one to what Paul is referring.  Or to look at our failures more than we look at God’s successes is another trap.  To put on ourselves unrealistic expectations is to play God.  Much anxiety and pressure we suffer are self-inflicted.  We are not required to be what God has not intended us to be.  If we cannot do it, after praying over it profusely, then it must not be God’s will.  So, let it go.  If we become our own standard, then we will quit.  If we seek to excel in playing an instrument and can only get so far, if perfection is the goal, then we surrender the instrument to another interest.  Our lives are not like that.  God matures us in a balanced way over a long period of time.  To judge ourselves by our standard which is higher than God’s is to always fail.  Judgment comes from God. Not from within.  We need to get ourselves off the hook we have put ourselves on and rest confident that God will get us where we need to be if we have faith and follow.  Relax.  God has this.  And, He is not finished yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment