Sunday, June 7, 2020

Words Start With Thoughts

The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.” (Pr 15:26 AV)

 Note here that thoughts and words are inescapably tied together.  It may seem like a common-sense statement, but one cannot speak words that are not first thought of.  Note also it is the thoughts that produce the words which the LORD considers and abomination.  It is suggested the words of the pure are pleasant because the thought life of the pure is pure.  This whole challenge that our great nation is experiencing has done me some good.  In the sense that it has caused me to think much deeper about what I am about to say before I say it.  This situation has caused me to examine my own heart and bring under the microscope my own feelings before a statement or position is expounded.  It has caused me to more thoroughly examine the recesses of my heart to see where I might need some conforming to the heart of my Savior.  Our Savior.

Many things are said in haste that does not necessarily reflect the truth.  What those stated things do accomplish is the reveal what is truly on our hearts.  I cannot explain it, but through all this spring and early summer, the LORD has given me a great peace where peace shouldn’t be.  He has not allowed my heart to be taken away with fear and anxiety, angst or agitation, misery or distress.  We are living in a world that has been turned upside down.  When this happens, opinions fly.  The fly too quickly without any investigation or research.  We are entering a presidential election year and the commercials have already started.  The amount of misinformation is astounding.  Words mean things.  Words have an effect.  They are powerful and can sway the events of a nation.  But I digress.  Let us come back to the point of the proverb.  A thought life.  Before we say something, we need to examine the truth of what we are about to say; investigate if we are well informed enough to make such a statement; and, what our motive might be is saying what we are about to say.

This time of trials has had a profound and growing experience for me.  The LORD is doing wonders in my heart.  Wonders for which I am truly grateful.  The examination has not been an easy one.  Many of the opinions I held have stayed true.  But the motive is the problem.  My spirit behind my thoughts matters, too.  Does what I believe hold true to the facts.  If it does, what other motives might I have for saying what I know to be true?  Does it need to be said?  Will it solve anything?  This is particularly important as we embark on another LORD’s day and I am tasked with preaching the word of God.  What is it that I will say?  How is the condition of my heart before I even enter the sacred desk of preaching?  Do I have my heart in check?  Have I confessed and forsaken all sin?  Do I love the brethren and all men?  Do I have as my deepest desire to share the love of Christ and represent our Savior as He desires to be represented?  My heart matters way before the words come out of my mouth.  My thoughts are far more important than the words I share.  If my thoughts please the LORD, then so too will my words.


No comments:

Post a Comment