Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Wisdom and Faith Go Hand-in-hand

He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.” (Pr 16:20 AV)

When one stops and thinks about this verse, it may seem as though the two don’t go together.  Handling a matter wisely and trust seem to be two sides of a different coin.  They do not seem to be contradictory.  But they don’t seem to be complimentary either.  Handling a matter wisely seems a matter of logic and integrity.  What could possibly require trust to be wise in a matter?  For instance, if handling a matter wisely means to prepare for one’s twilight years, isn’t that a simple matter of hard work and financial planning?  Wouldn’t that also include financial discipline?  What could possibly require trust?  We garner wisdom from the word of God and apply it.  What kind of risk are we required for such planning?  Before we go any further, we must remember two indisputable truths.  First, the writer of Hebrews tells us, “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Heb 11:6 AV)  God requires of mankind something He does not require of any other race of being.  That is, to live by faith.  Secondly, Paul states in Romans 14:23 “…for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”  He speaks of the choices we make.  In other words, wisdom is applied by faith.  Once proven, faith is no longer required.  We, however, go back to our original line of questioning.  Why are faith and trust required to handle a matter wisely?

On my most recent virtual doctor’s visit, my wonderful physician reviewed my labs with me.  One of those labs showed an increase in A1C levels over the last three labs.  Diabetes runs in my family.  My mother had it.  Her father had it.  And her father’s mother had it.  I have three type one diabetics in my immediate family who came after me.  So, I am at risk of developing diabetes.  At the very least, type two.  So, what does that mean for me?  This means I need to make some wise choices in both diet and exercise.  I have to become a carb counter.  This means the personal discipline of the choices of the foods I eat.  This also means I need to get off the recliner a bit more and do some physical exercise.  But where does the faith come in?  Well, for one, it is a whole lot more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat processed foods.  I have to watch my salt intake.  All this means that my wife and I are relearning how to cook and cook more healthy meals.  I have to trust the LORD for the increase this may be to our grocery bill.  I have to trust the LORD when I go out in the neighborhood to walk the dog.  Not the people.  The other dogs.  We live in a dog-loving city.  It is not uncommon to see some of the more violent types of dogs roaming free.  I have to trust the LORD the medications I am not on will do what they are supposed to do.

When God tells us by the pen of Solomon that handling a matter wisely requires faith in Him, it could be for large things or subtle things.  Like choosing to undergo surgery or treatment is the prudent thing to do, but one cannot unless they trust the LORD to get them through it.  Paying a bill on time when money is very tight takes faith.  Seeking to repair a relationship makes one vulnerable and one trusts the LORD to work on one’s own heart as well as the heart of the other.  Being discreet with information takes faith in the LORD that despite our very limited input into the situation, He can handle the majority.  It is always interesting trying to counsel someone through a difficult situation or decision.  It is entered into with trepidation.  What if I give the wrong counsel?  That is the biggest worry.  What if they follow my suggestion and it doesn’t turn out right?  Wisdom and trust cannot be separated.  It may not always be obvious, but doing the right and prudent thing always assumes things not in our control.  This is where trust in the LORD goes further than the reason of wisdom can take you.


No comments:

Post a Comment