“And James the [son] of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder:” (Mr 3:17 AV)
It is interesting what some suggest as the reason for the surnaming. In the word of God, surnaming meant an additional name that signified a particular event or characteristic related to the one receiving it. Some suggest that because these two wanted to call down fire from heaven as Elijah did that Jesus named them the sons of thunder. Others suggest that because of some particular physical trait like a booming voice was the cause for the name. Either way, a surname was added to their names of identity. Some surnames align with a family's career. Such is the case with Smith or Shoemaker. Other surnames identify a place of origin, as some surnames add a Von, Mc, Van, or Mac prior to the place or family of origin. When Jesus surnamed, or nicknamed James and John, it was associated in a much more personal way. One wonders if Jesus were to give us a nickname, what it might be.
I come from a state that makes nicknaming a cultural pastime. In fact, there were several sitcoms set in my home state, and nicknaming was a regular part of the dialogue. Most of it is derogatory. However, some of it is complimentary. William Shakespeare was known as Avon’s swan. Margaret Thatcher earned the name The Iron Lady. Thomas Edison was called the Wizard of Menlo Park. Michelangelo was known as Michael the Angel; an obvious play on words. And who can forget Honest Abe – Abraham Lincoln? While I managed a restaurant, we gave people nicknames. Most of them were endearing. It was a way of building a personal relationship with someone while still maintaining the proper authority structure. The names could not be demeaning. It had to be complimentary. It had to be something endearing, or it became insulting. The more use we made of the nickname, the more our employees felt as part of the family. Nicknames, if done right, can bolster a person’s confidence and affirm their worth to the whole body.
All that being said, I had to wonder what the LORD would nickname me. I wonder if I have proved myself worthy of one. Usually, good nicknames take a bit of time. Our employees did not get one until they had placed their stamp on the business. Until they exhibited a distinctly different and positive contribution to the business, their given name sufficed. I wonder if I have done enough to earn a nickname. I wonder if I have made my mark on the gospel of Christ so that He would give me a name different from all others. We know that there are two names given to the saint of which no one will know until they are given. The Revelation of Jesus Christ states that there are two names given. One of those names is a new name of God written on the saint. The other is a new name written on a stone and given to the saint. That second name is unique to the saint. That new name is new because no one knows us like God knows us. No one will be able to know that name until the LORD reveals it. I wonder what mine will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment