Sunday, September 20, 2026

Compassionate Yet Uncomfortable Truth

“And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.” (Mr 14:27 AV)

The truth of what we are is sometimes uncomfortable.  Jesus is speaking to the eleven regarding his near betrayal and crucifixion.  Of course, they all objected.  They did not think themselves capable of cowardice.  Yet, Jesus’ words were true, nonetheless.  The only one who was faithful through the whole ordeal was John.  Everyone else fled, or in the case of Peter, denied the LORD.  However, we see in the words of Jesus Christ a kindness.  It is better they be forewarned of their pending failure from a heart of compassion and understanding rather than a statement of rebuke afterward.  In this statement, Jesus was forgiving them before the transgression occurred.  Facing what we are before we act on what we are is humbling and gracious all at the same time.  Knowing what we are beforehand is not always easy.  But is does soften the blow when we do fail.  I think this was our Savior’s motive.  He didn’t condemn them for an action yet taken.  Rather, He was softening the conscience once the failure occurred. What a Savior!

Those in leadership experience this from time to time.  The LORD surrounds us with good people.  They rarely let us down.  However, the leader does know the limits of his people.  He knows what they can and cannot do.  Many years ago, I had an incident regarding a fella who wanted to do me great harm.  He had a wide influence among the greater population of our county.  He had a loyal following.  We fell out of graces because I would not support a decision he wanted me to make.  For him, the decision was a very personal one.  It was a very emotional one.  My issue with it was his wishes was not in the best interests of those closest to him and would also bring reproach on the name of the LORD.  He took great offense at my counsel and refusal to accommodate his wishes.  This led to a smear campaign that involved thousands of people.  The leadership of our church would not stand with me and confront this individual.  They could not.  Some were related to him.  Others were very emotionally close to him.  But as the leader, I already knew they would not stand with me.  I left it with the LORD and went on serving with and loving on them.

Jesus does not expect us to change overnight.  He knows our weaknesses.  He knows our frame.  As the sweet psalmist says, “For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we [are] dust.” (Ps 103:14 AV) What I see in the words of Jesus is a very compassionate way of informing His disciples that He knows what they are and what they will do, yet deeply loves them anyway.  What I see is a God who knows us better than we know ourselves and will soften the blow of guilt and disappointment we feel when we fail Him.  What I see is a Savior who died for souls who can never live up to His standard, and did so with an everlasting love.  I don’t see condemnation.  I don’t see judgment.  I don’t see disappointment.  What the Spirit wants us to know is that God understands.  God knows what we will do or fail to do from eternity.  He came and died for us, anyway.  What I see in His words is eternal love.  What I see in His words is paternal patience.  What I see in His words is someone who loves us more than we can ever comprehend.  What love!

No comments:

Post a Comment