“Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.” (Mt 17:4 AV)
I think in Peter’s words we see a profound gratitude for the experience Peter is witnessing. What I don’t see is an immature excitement of something new and different. I don’t see an immature attitude of competition comparing himself against the nine that were not invited. What I see is a man who understood the event. I see a man who had walked with Jesus for a bit and began to understand who it was that was transfigured. I see a man who is deeply grateful for the experience as one who does not deserve anything. What I see in Peter is the spirit that should be in the heart of every believer. Especially during those quiet times of prayer and Bible study. What I see is the heart that should rest its head at night deeply grateful for the adoption to which we are called the children of God. Circumstances change, but the presence of God does not. What I see is a heart that is so grateful that he will never forget this moment. I see in Peter a heart that is profoundly grateful to the point that it is understood there is nothing we can do that will equal it.
I also see a heart that understands the profound nature of the event and how it will change him. Peter will never be the same again. And I think he knew this. Because of their question regarding Elijah, the three disciples truly understood that the mount of transfiguration was not a mere miracle. It was far more than that. They understood that they were experiencing Jesus in a vastly different way and they were the first ones. I think they understood why it was so very important when Jesus told them that they were not to share this experience until after the resurrection. They understood that the evidence of the deity of Christ was not to be the mount of transfiguration, but rather, that he would rise from the dead. They understood this event was founded upon the faith of the three to believe what they were seeing. They saw Elijah and Moses with Jesus Christ. They knew who these two individuals were. They had no problem with it. In that moment, their faith grew exponentially.
I think we have lost our heart of gratitude for the relationship we have in Christ Jesus. In particular, I think we have lost our heart of gratitude for the hand of God that brings us through experiences that grow us up. Challenging times are growing times. Profound times are times of maturing. Have you ever been in a situation that you did not completely understand or felt overwhelming, but you knew it was good to be there? Fear abated. Calm anticipation and a heightened sense of purpose ruled. This is how our devotional and worship times should be each time we enter them. Every time God speaks to us we should feel as Peter felt. It is good to be here. Every time we are thrust into a situation we cannot control and we are forced to spiritually grow, we should respond that it is good to be in such a place. The grateful and mature Christian is hard to find. Taking each event in stride and being grateful no matter what it might mean is where we need to be. It is good to be called a child of God. It is good to have Him as our Father. It is good to be in His presence and under His hand. It is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment