“The day [is] thine, the night also [is] thine: thou hast prepared the light and the sun.” (Ps 74:16 AV)
Our psalmist’s observation is in the light of oppression. God is not oppressing. The enemies of Israel are. The psalmist cites the active hand of a sovereign God. This verse, by no means, could support the position of a Deist. It actually accomplished the opposite. The writer’s plea for intervention is predicated on the fact that God created all things and controls all things. God controls all things all the time. Whether day nor night, the times are His. They are in His hands, and there is no one who can turn Him. The psalmist further cites the provision of sovereignty which God provides. The light and the sun are what governs our time. The sun governs our day and night. The stars and moon govern our months and seasons. To summarize, our sovereign God is in control of time itself. All that happens is under His direct care. All things are caused or allowed by His mighty hand. Nothing gets past our God, nor does anything supersede His power to control it.
Now and again, I am amazed at the human body. Have you owned anything that ran continuously for seventy to ninety years that was self-maintaining, self-generating, and worked regardless of any outside administration? Do you realize that from the moment your heart beat for the first time, it hasn’t stopped? That is amazing! If I ran my car for that entire duration, it would have eventually stopped. My lungs, from the moment of my birth have not stopped. They go on night and day. They go on without my need to think about it. When one considers how long our ancient progenitors lived, this truth is mindboggling. Our first parents lived over nine-hundred years. For the human heart to beat for nine hundred years without stopping is beyond comprehension. Now, think how much trust you and I have to go to sleep at night. If our hearts stopped beating or our lungs stopped breathing, we would not have the ability to call for help. We would be at the mercy of those around us. Every night we lay our heads down and place our trust in something we cannot control. Then we wake up. Our trust was well-founded.
Our psalmist speaks great comfort to us. During the times we cannot interact with our environment, God has it all. It is all under His sovereign control. Most of life is out of our control. We can choose. We can act. We can interact. But the outcome is never guaranteed. God controls it all. It is not so much His control while I sleep that I find comforting. Rather, if I can totally surrender to the LORD and close my eyes for a much-needed time of rest, there should be no reason to do that same while I am awake. As the moon and stars govern the times of the night, the sun governs the time of day. They are set and controlled by the sovereign hand of Jehovah. If I can rest at night, I must be at spiritual and emotional rest during the day. He has this! Going to sleep is a great step of faith. Living in the day is no less. Trust the Keeper of it all!
No comments:
Post a Comment