“That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.” (Ps 83:18 AV)
The original thought this morning was actually from Hosea. Upon looking at the verse a bit more closely, the Spirit revealed that I hadn’t read it quite right even though the thought was sound. That led me to find a passage that supported the thought. Better yet, putting the two together supported the thought which I knew came from the Spirit. As of late, I have been interested in the names of God. More specifically, praying to Him with a variety of them. Rather than use ‘Father’ or ‘LORD’ all the time, my heart desired to know Him and relate to Him in various ways. The problem I am bumping into is finding resources dedicated solely to this topic with the mystic influence included. I am trying to find a more scholarly work that can open my mind to the wonders of who and what God is. Then the thought of Hosea came to mind. Israel worshipped the Most High in name only. They acknowledged who He was, but chose to worship the gods of the pagans instead. Praying to the LORD with greater depth by understanding His names does not necessarily mean we are correct in our worship or love for Him. Paying correct reverence and living in habitual disobedience are incompatible.
I don’t think there is a saint alive who loves the LORD and doesn’t want to improve upon their prayer life. In particular, I have met many who wish for a clear understanding of who and what our Creator is. Most saints who love the LORD don’t want to treat the LORD as a common person. The more I walk with God, the more keenly I am aware of the promise of Romans 8:26, “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” The more I pray, the more aware this child of God is that the Spirit interrupts my thoughts to phrase them and organize them in more reverent ways. He checks my thoughts against the way our Creator should be addressed. He replaces words commonly used for others and replaces them with divine or sacred words. Rather than speak to the LORD as a would another person, the Spirit helps me slow down and find more worshipful words deserving of the Creator who controls all things. It is a blessing to possess the Spirit within who works with our spirit to cry, Abba, Father.
Yet I am reminded that as sanctified our prayer life might seem, if our walk does not reflect that same respect, the words we use are hollow. Sanctification means that we strive, by the power of the same Spirit that helps us to pray, to live according to the word of God. To address my earthly father as ‘father’ rather than ‘Dad’ was a show of respect. Yet if I ignore his commands, the more endearing and respectful title becomes an insult. I am all for learning and praying by the names of God. What I need to do is remember that doing so only has meaning if my life matches my words. The same is true of us all. Jesus asks, “And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” (Lu 6:46 AV) If you are like me, we want a deeper and more reverent relationship with God each and every day. Knowledge alone isn’t enough. A conformity to His will is the missing piece.
No comments:
Post a Comment