“I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.” (Ho 13:14 AV)
The repentance spoken of is the repentance God is able to exercise. God promised to save mankind from the power of the grave. He gave this promise to Adam and Eve in Genesis chapter three. The above words are spoken to Ephraim. Ephraim is another name for the ten northern tribes of Israel. Figuratively speaking, God could be talking about their pending exile. He may be comparing their diaspora as dying and going to the grave. If that be the case, support for the ten northern tribes being lost has evaporated. Besides, the 144,000 witnesses of Revelation come from twelve tribes of Israel. However, I think the above passage can be taken more literally. That is, since Adam and Eve were given the promise of eternal life through a seed who would be born of a woman. That seed is Jesus Christ. Once life is given, the grave cannot permanently retain it. This also necessitates a resurrection. The above promise is for a resurrection for those who trust is Jesus Christ that can never be divine repented of. God will not rescind His promise of eternal life. We are eternally secure.
Many years ago, my mother-in-law was fussing over a perfect way in which to stage her paper towel. She had a plastic store-bought hanger for the inside of her cabinet. Those things eventually break. Her real frustration was the absence of resistance that would keep the roll from continuing to spin when the sheets were pulled out. So, being the industrious son-in-law that I went to the basement and with scrap wood and extra parts, built a dispenser with sandpaper on the tube rod, a spring-loaded access stop for loading the roll, and recessed holes to hold the rod in place. I wrote the date on it and guaranteed it for 25 years. That was almost 40 years ago. It still hangs there today. Over the years, I’ve only had to repair it twice. I think the hinge screws came loose, and the spring broke and had to be replaced. Other than that, it had been pretty solid. But I have to tell you, guaranteeing a product you built for that long is hard to do. I have a Leatherman. When I attained it, there was a lifetime guarantee. No matter what happened to it, they would fix or replace it for as long as you owned it. I had to return it once in the 35 years I have owned it. Not many things are guaranteed like that anymore.
When discussing eternal life, it amazes me that the idea that one can lose it is still a persistent idea among those who know their bibles. God will not repent of His promise of deliverance. His promise is steadfast. It is set in the heavens. His promise cannot change. I am sure as Ephraim struggles under the oppression of Assyria and Babylon, the promise of deliverance is what got them through it. I am sure of it. Like Tevye of Fiddler on the Roof, the Jewish people know they will be delivered from oppression. That is what motivates them to go one more day. Eventually, their Messiah and our Savior will restore Israel to the covenant promises, and the Messiah will reign with His people. This promise cannot be altered. This promise will not be rescinded. The same is true for eternal life. It cannot be repented of. The Creator of the worlds gave us His word, and His word is eternally good!
No comments:
Post a Comment