Sunday, August 30, 2026

Heaven Sent Peace

“Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; [nor] for the arrow [that] flieth by day; [Nor] for the pestilence [that] walketh in darkness; [nor] for the destruction [that] wasteth at noonday.  A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; [but] it shall not come nigh thee.” (Ps 91:5- 7 AV)

Every time I read this, I am amazed at the promise of God to the children of Israel.  Especially when one considers the events at hand.  The promise is speaking of the events leading up to the exodus.  The arrow that flies by day were the nine plagues preceding the death of the firstborn.  The pestilence that walked in darkness was the tenth plague: the death of the firstborn.  Destruction that wasted at in the middle of the day was again, the nine plagues prior to the death of the firstborn.  Thos that fell by the side are those in Egypt, both Egyptian and unbelieving Jews who lost their lives when God judged them.  What astounds me is the calm that is promised to the believing saints, as God dealt with the disobedient and the fearful. If I were experiencing the events of those days, I don’t know how well I would have done.  Death and destruction being all around me, I would think anxiety would be the main emotion going through my soul.  Yet, the LORD promised that terror by night nor terror by day would rule their hearts.  The only way that can happen is by a supernatural act of God!

Each nation, group, or certain generation faces their Exodus moment.  History works like that.  Things that were, will be again.  Our current world is no different.  If the LORD tarries, we will face some serious challenges, to say the least.  My grandparents lived through the great depression and World War II.  My parents lived through Korea and Vietnam.  Our world has not seen a global event like WWII since.  That war touched every nation on earth.  It affected everyone.  One wonders when and how the next big event will happen and the world will be changed forever.  To be a bit more local, I live in a large city.  There are 1.4 million people who live in our county.  I have several apps on my phone that report 911 calls.  I can read at any given time where emergency responders went and why.  Every day they are filled with events that are not good.  If one is not careful, fear can grip the heart.  Yet every morning we get up, thank God that we were kept safe, and that no damage has occurred to our belongings.  This is not the first time we have lived like this.  My previous church sat right in front of a mobile home park where there were several meth labs located.  This was in a very rural area.  Our town had three thousand people.  In the short time we lived there, two murders and many arrests within two miles of our home.  Before that, we lived and served in a large city of 6 million.  There was gang activity all around us.  A young lady was killed and burned up in a pickup truck not even a quarter mile from our home.  I share all this to say that God kept us secure and safe even in the midst of all this turmoil.  Anxiety regarding it is another matter altogether.

Anxiety is merely disbelief in the power of almighty God.  Yielding to His hand and judgment is the key.  The peace that passes all understanding is possible.  It is only as possible as our faith in what He has promised.  I cannot explain it nor can I say that I have mastered it.  All I can say is divinely sent peace is possible.  And it is very real.  I began by saying that the peace which Israel was promised was hard to comprehend.  However, having faces some of the things that we have over the years, I can say with certainty that peace is possible and real!  It must be something we yield to.  It is not something we conjure up in our own power.  The peace that passes all understanding starts with casting all our cares on Him.  Only then can He bring that incomprehensible peace by the ministry of the Holy Spirit.  If the Holy Spirit can cry with our spirit, Abba Father, then He can also equally work with our spirit to bring that peace that passes all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment