Sunday, May 12, 2024

Rejoice, You Grump!

“This [is] the day [which] the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” (Ps 118:24 AV)

Something funny happened to me this morning.  I really appreciate it when the LORD gives an obvious and sometimes humorous rebuke, especially when I need it.  So, let me set the stage.  For smaller churches, Mother’s Day is one of those days with horrible attendance.  People skip church to be with their mothers.  Attendance is typically lower by at least a third.  So, I was mulling that over in my heart.  My wife has cancer every day is a challenge.  Some days are better than others, but life will never go back to the way it was.  On Mother’s Day, I miss my own mother.  She has been gone now for six years and every now and again; I wish I could pick up the phone and call her.  Putting this altogether, I woke up this morning in a bit of a surly mood.  Then this verse popped into my head.  It wasn’t enough that it popped into my head, but the Spirit added the word ‘stupid’ right after it.  I suppose He can do that.  He is God!  I had to chuckle.  I was reminded that rejoicing is commanded.  Paul tells us to rejoice evermore!

I appreciate the LORD’s sense of humor.  He could have mercilessly rebuked me for my dark attitude.  He could have reacted in a far more dramatic and angry manner.  I would have deserved it, too.  But the Holy Spirit knows how to work our hearts better than we do.  He also added the word ‘jerk’ at the end of the verse.  And He was right.  I am a jerk for not being as grateful to the LORD regardless of adversity.  It was so funny.  Even now I am chuckling.  Our worst days are still better than our lost better days.  When we did not know Christ, we had no hope in this world.  We were without security of soul.  We had no future.  God has been far better to us than we will ever realize.  Life, no matter the circumstances, is a blessing.  So long as we walk with God amid the days of our journey, life may be difficult from time to time, but God is there.  Life is always going to be difficult.  Because of sin, life will always have its challenges.  Adversity is the very definition of the human experience.  We cannot avoid it.  Yet, we can conclude life can always be worse.  Better yet, we can accept with confidence God controls all things, and He has a purpose for it all.  This purpose is far better than we can imagine.

Rejoicing is difficult when you are sitting in a room with several other patients, hooked to a drip of radiation for four to six hours.  Rejoicing is difficult when pain is a daily companion.  Rejoicing is difficult when all you want to do is easy your spouse’s suffering and there is nothing you can do about it.  Rejoicing is difficult when the things are not as you wish they were.  Rejoicing is difficult when you work so hard to get ahead in life and career, only to see things appear to take two steps back.  Rejoicing is difficult when it seems as though the only thing you hear is bad news.  But all that does not matter.  If rejoicing is commanded, then the circumstances do not matter.  Not only that, but if rejoicing is commanded, then despite the circumstances, there must be more to rejoice over than there is to regret.  It is all a matter of perspective.  So, today, and every day, are days that God has made.  Regardless of our suffering, we must rejoice in them.  This is the command.  This is the promise.  And most of all, this is the hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment