Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Blessed Forever

“Thou art fairer than the children of men: grace is poured into thy lips: therefore God hath blessed thee for ever.” (Ps 45:2 AV)

I know this psalm is a prophetic one.  This psalm’s theme is the LORD Jesus Christ.  When the psalmist writes that God has blessed the subject forever, he speaking of the Son of God.  Forever is eternally forever.  Since we had a beginning, we could not have been blessed forever.  The eternal blessings above are founded upon the character of the subject.  We cannot say the same.  There is no human being who is fairest of all.  There is no human being who can always speak words of grace.  However, we are blessed forever in the sense God blesses us continually.  Not because of who or what we are.  Rather, because of who and what Jesus is.  We are eternally blessed in the sense the blessings of God will continue from henceforth and for all of eternity because the blood of Christ has made us a child of God.  God loves us and eternally blesses us because of what Jesus did for us.  In Christ, we are blessed for ever.

I have to admit, I am not always aware of the blessings of God.  I don’t always see them.  Especially when life gets a little challenging.  I grew up in western New York.  I didn’t move from there until my mid-thirties.  So, I grew up with snow.  And, a lot of it.  I worked at a factory that had no easy way to drive to.  There were hills and valleys from home to work.  Work was about a half hour away.  During the winter time, this was an adventure, to say the least.  Most people think that going downhill on an icy road is more dangerous than going uphill.  But that is not the case.  I would rather go down a hill than try to get up one.  Going downhill, put your car in the lowest gear you have and let the engine work as your brake.  Going uphill, however, is an entirely different matter.  If you begin to slip and slide, there is little you can do.  There was this one hill I had to climb on the way home from work.  I worked the third shift which meant the roads had not warmed up and dried out.  This one hill had a slight turn to it as well.  Which meant I could lose control of the car really easily.  It was nerve-racking.  It was terrifying.  Especially when you are poor and drive a broken-down car with bald tires.  I was skinny back then because I drove in terrifying conditions and sweated all the fat out!  At that moment, it is hard to think on how blessed you are.  Once the climb was over and I felt safe, I felt blessed.  But in the moment of faith and fear, not so much.

Remembering we are eternally blessed means seeing the big picture and not the details of today.  Rehearsing the fact God brought me through seven winters working at the factory without one accident is key to feeling blessed.  When we look back at life, and are honestly doing so, we can say without a doubt, life could have been a whole lot worse.  We are blessed.  We are eternally blessed.  The understanding of just how blessed we are goes a long way in getting through present circumstances.  As I wrote earlier, God is not out to get us.  He is not out to destroy us.  If anything, the LORD wished to reconcile, restore, and regenerate us.  God is all about life.  He is all about blessing.  He is all about bringing His children the best we can enjoy.  We are blessed!  Eternally blessed.  Today.  Right now.  In the past.  And in the future.  Faith is the key.  Believing we are blessed opens our eyes to just how blessed we are.  I trust you will have a great day today no matter what happens.  I hope you see God’s blessings as greater than your trials.  Doing so will bring joy to the heart and hope to the soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment