Tuesday, February 21, 2023

What He Really Wants

To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.” (Pr 21:3 AV)

My Dad used to have a saying. “Don’t tell me you’re sorry.  Just do what I ask.”  As teenagers, that didn’t sit well with us.  We felt our feelings of sorrow and repentance were not appreciated.  We came with broken hearts and we expected our father to tread gently on our broken hearts.  He didn’t say this all the time.  In fact, he didn’t say it a lot.  However, he did say it, especially when our error was a habitual one.  Our writer states the obvious.  If we had a choice, to do right would be better than offering a sacrifice after we have done wrong.  Which was my father’s point all along.  It would be much more pleasurable to him if we obeyed him than to apologize for failure afterward.

The Hebrew religion lost its way over time.  The sacrifices became a license to sin.  It is interesting.  One of the critiques of Biblical Christianity and the security of the believer, in particular, is it appears it gives liberty to sin.  Once saved always saved is seen as a blank check to do as one pleases without any fear of eternal judgment.  However, in the Old Testament sacrificial system, the liberty to sin was greater.  If the penitent knew he could offer a sacrifice after sin, then why avoid sin?  The same is true of any religion that offers atonement by the means of the penitent.  If I know that going to church would absolve me from sin, I can go out drinking the night before because the next day, it will be atoned for.  If I know that a sacrament or rite would atone for my sin, why not rack it all up and have fun?  I can simply do what my church tells me I have to do and it will all be wiped away.  Eternal security accomplished just the opposite.  Knowing I am eternally secure because all my sins; past, present, and future; are atoned for, then I will be sensitive to my choices not wanting to offend the one who paid the ultimate price.

The New Testament saint can get caught in the cycle of sin and repentance.  We can begin to think as long as we get right with God, then sin is not big deal.  But it is.  Our heavenly Father loves us more than we can ever imagine.  He is plenteous in mercy and grace.  He is always ready to forgive.  And if we ask Him for forgiveness, He does not withhold it.  Given the choice, though, He would rather have our obedience than our apology.  Repentance and forgiveness may cover the sin, but it would have been better if we didn’t sin at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment