Sunday, February 5, 2023

Omniscience and Grace In Balance

And the LORD met Balaam, and put a word in his mouth, and said, Go again unto Balak, and say thus.” (Nu 23:16 AV)

There are so many lessons in the exchange between God, Balaam, and Balak that reveal just how manipulative a man of God can be to get what he really wants, all the while appearing to serve the LORD faithfully.  Balaam was told not to go with the men of Moab nor heed their request.  This he did.  However, the LORD told Balaam he was to go with them if they showed up a second time.  This Balaam took as permission to go.  He went without the men coming to him.  This is not what struck me this morning.  There is a little Balaam in all of us from time to time.  But what God did with Balaam and the reality of his entire life is what struck me.  Balaam would faithfully declare the word of God to the king of Moab, Balak.  He would instruct him Israel could not be cursed.  In fact, the only word permitted for the prophet to speak would be one of blessing.  What Balaam did do was teach Balak how he could compromise Israel and make them much less of a threat.  It was Balaam that instructed Balak to intermarry with the Israelites and conquer them by association.  The Bible refers to this event as the matter of Peor.  Thousands of Jews lost their lives because of their compromise with Moab and it was the prophet’s doing.  What struck me is God met with the man of God even though He knew what he would eventually do.  This tells me two things.  First, God does not treat us today according to what we might do tomorrow.  Second, Balaam’s actions were not set in stone.  God met with, and used, a man who would eventually do great harm.  But it wasn’t destined to be so.


Although I could use an example to expound on the principle above, I would rather keep it right at home.  None of us know what we will be like in the future.  None of us know what we might do in the future.  It could be that we make the mistake of our lives sometime down the road.  It could be the greatest sin of our existence is yet to be committed.  But we can also know we are not destined to be that person or do that thing.  Otherwise, God would not meet with us.  When I see that God met with Balaam, I am comforted to know that an omniscient God will not hold it against me that I might, and probably will fail Him sometime in the future.  Judas would be the one to betray Jesus.  It was foretold in the Old Testament.  Yet, Jesus still had ministry with him for three or so years.  Peter would deny Christ.  He was told that he would.  Yet the LORD still ministered to him.  Paul would disobey the Spirit and go to Jerusalem.  Yet the LORD still met with him and used him to inspire more of the scriptures.  What a gracious and wonderful God we serve.


Like all of you, I know I am a screw-up.  I know God is not pleased with me one hundred percent of the time.  I go to Him for forgiveness more than I care to admit.  And, the future scares me in that I know what I am capable of and desire deeply that sin not rule in my life.  I can read David’s numbering of the people at the close of his life.  Or of Solomon who married strange wives and went after pagan gods.  I can read of the ten spies who cowered at the enemy and know that in my latter years, I have the potential to fail just like the men listed above.  But God still met with them.  And He will still meet with thee!  Cherish that meeting and pray for escape from temptation.  This was the failure of Balaam.  He let success turn into failure.  God met with him.  And He will meet with you!

1 comment:

  1. Good day. Thank you, again, for your time and study. You are a chosen servant of God and do a good work!! I continue to be encouraged by your life and testimony.

    ReplyDelete