Wednesday, February 1, 2023

No Sunset!

And from the age of fifty years they shall cease waiting upon the service thereof, and shall serve no more: But shall minister with their brethren in the tabernacle of the congregation, to keep the charge, and shall do no service. Thus shalt thou do unto the Levites touching their charge.” (Nu 8:25-26 AV)

Retirement was not a choice here.  The elderly priest did not leave the tabernacle for a retirement cottage in the woods.  From twenty-five to the age of thirty, the priest was in training.  He assisted in the service of the tabernacle.  From the age of twenty-five to the age of fifty, he performed assigned tasks within the tabernacle.  Then, at the ripe old age of fifty, his duties changed.  To keep the charge meant to stand guard in the tabernacle.  He assumed responsibilities more conducive to an overseer rather than a doer.  To keep the charge meant to safeguard the tabernacle from unworthy attendees.  They were to keep the unclean and the stranger from entering.  They kept watch over the tabernacle so that others could perform their tasks of ministry without having to worry about threats to their service.  The point to be made here is age does change the duties and responsibilities of God’s ministers.  In the old testament, there was a hard and fast rule of fifty years of age.  There is no such rule in the new testament.  But the principle still applies.  As was age, we should work towards replacing ourselves in the work of the ministry and back off to a more advisory role.  This does not mean we need to leave ministry altogether and ride off into the sunset.  What it does mean is we can step back from the obvious duties of ministry to a more supportive role for those who take our place.


In one of my last churches, I had the privilege of such a man who served with me.  Billy was a retired pastor and evangelist who served as a Sunday school teacher and pulpit supply.  He was thirty years my senior.  Billy was a special blessing to me.  He never tried to tell me what to do or if he could do my job better.  He never offered advice unless I asked for it.  Billy was my greatest cheerleader.  He stood in the gap and supported me even when he thought I might be making a mistake.  Billy was a perfect example of the Levite mentioned above.  He often cared for things that never got to my desk which allowed me more liberty to do what God called me to do.  In handling some of those more uncomfortable situations, it freed up pulpit time to concentrate on the body as a whole rather than individual issues.  He was especially adept at working with the elderly and helping them adjust to my leadership.  Sometimes, the elderly can be the most impatient and critical group in a church.  But with a seasoned retired preacher as their Sunday School teacher, he was able to guide them and lead them into being the best group I had.  Although Billy didn’t draw a paycheck, he was no less a part of the pastoral team.  Serving with me made my load immensely lighter and together the LORD used us to be a blessing to His sheep.


For a long time, I have struggled with the idea of pastoral retirement.  I believed back then and I believe now that a pastor should strive to serve as much as he can regardless of his age.  I cannot see support for retiring from service altogether.  But there will come a time when the reigns have to be handed over to a younger generation.  Some see this as a demotion.  In reality, it is a promotion.  One of the fears of aging is remaining relative and needed.  As we get older, we wonder if anyone will really need us.  It is up to the church to make them feel needed.  Advice should be sought.  Fellowship should be maintained.  Those who have stepped back should not be treated as though they have no value.  In some ways, they have the greatest value of all.  So, if you have a retired deacon or pastor, don’t let them feel as though they cannot contribute.  Use them.  They still desire to serve.  For those who are aging, don’t be afraid of the next chapter in life.  God can and will still use you.  You have meaning.  You are significant.  There are still tasks that need to be done and are best done by those with the most wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment