Friday, January 27, 2023

Of Rest And Affliction

It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.” (Le 16:31 AV)

At first glance, one might see a difficulty here.  How can rest and affliction coexist?  Rest and affliction are polar opposites, aren’t they?  How can someone rest and at the same time afflict himself?  But that is exactly what the day of rest was for.  It was a day to rest from one’s labors and slow down enough that the soul could be afflicted with the reality of who and what we are.  The day of rest from one’s labors was a day of rest from one’s sins; and the spiritual consequences of those sins.  The practical reality is times of rest are good times to reflect on our walk with God.  It doesn’t matter whether it is a Sunday or any other time of idleness.  These times of rest could be just as much of a vacation as it is the quiet time right before slumber.  Perhaps the time of rest is a coffee break at work or waiting for an appointment.  Whenever we have times of slow or no activity, it might be a good time to afflict the soul as self-examination is the means to walk more intimately with God.

There are times we enjoy the quietness that comes from an unoccupied mind.  We enjoy the peace that comes from perfect contentment and faith.  We enjoy the reality of total absolution for all our sins and the freedom from guilt this provides.  But we cannot always say this is the case.  

There are times we reflect on who and what we are and we do not like what we see.  For me, it is usually at night.  As I fall off to sleep, the LORD gets an ear full of how I have failed Him.  The list is long.  The time of affliction is when the day is over and rest is on the schedule.  God is entitled to our transparency and the thought occurs to me that if I were not to wake in the morning, I would want my slate to be as clean as it possibly can be. 

Yet, there is another operation that is more precious than confession and forgiveness.  It is often in the night the Spirit does His best work.  Upon affliction of the soul, there is also learning and healing.  As He speaks to me regarding my deepest thoughts, feelings, and condition, He leads my thoughts through biblically-based reasoning.  He helps me understand what I need to know so that when I wake in the morning, He has matured me ever so slightly.  It is the meditation of the heart that brings understanding in the way.  As the Spirit so gently guides my thoughts into the reality of the word of God, I can understand why I am the way I am and the promises He brings that can change that.  This affliction is a good thing.  Think of it as a physical trainer.  He is not critical.  He is not a drill sergeant who will malign you into subjection.  The physical trainer will push you and give you the confidence and encouragement that might seem like impossible goals.  I had the privilege of working with one many years back.  He set goals and increased those goals so after a year or so, I was able to do things that I didn’t think possible.  Like hiking five miles dragging a dead deer without having to stop and catch my breath.  It took afflicting the body.  It took afflicting the mind.  Growth takes affliction and it is in the times of rest where the Spirit does His best affliction.

No comments:

Post a Comment