Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Repulsive Love

“Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned.” (So 8:7 AV)

The new wife of her husband spoke the words above.  During their courtship and following their wedding, the depth of love of the king toward her impressed her.  The words above vividly describe the picture of this depth of love.  The passage alludes to the king’s love for her as an unquenchable fire.  The verse above compares the love he had for her to a sacrifice that cost the king everything.  That is love.  The king's love for her cost him everything and could never be quenched.  Again, many people make comparisons between the Song of Solomon and Christ's love for the church.  It is easy to see the sacrifice of Calvary and the offer of a home in heaven as very similar to the verse above.  For me, it is that last phrase that stands out.  Those who observe it show contempt for this depth of love.  The wife is not disrespecting his eternal love.  Chapter eight is all about love observed and reciprocated by the new wife.  Rather, it would be those who observe this ‘over-the-top’ love.  Sort of like a young man who is beside himself over a maid.  He is often the brunt of jokes by those who have never loved, or those who have lost their love for the one whom they married.  But I couldn’t help turning this back on the object of that love.  Here, it would be the church.  It would be me.  Do we, or I, love our LORD to the degree the world thinks we are crazy and over the top?  Are we contemned for our eternal love for our Savior?

It is kind of funny how people react to super-dedicated love.  Many years ago, while I courted my wife, I made it a habit of buying her a single rose whenever the impulse hit.  If I shopped at a local grocer and came by the flowers, I would pick up a rose.  Sometimes, I would buy a dozen little ones.  Most of the time, however, I got her a single rose.  She worked for a PAC as a secretary.  I received an invitation to join them at the event at the state capital.  When I arrived, I was walking toward the concourse where my future wife was tending to a registration/information desk.  As I was walking the wide halls of the state capital, there was a person selling individual roses.  So, I picked one up.  Down the halls of our capital I went, holding this single rose like it was a priceless piece of art or exquisite fine jewelry.  When I got to her table, I handed her the rose and told her that I loved her.  Around the table were a bunch of married folks and immediately the eyes rolled back.  “He’ll get over it.  Just wait until they get married.  It will wear off.”  This struck the pastor as sad.  The next Sunday, he remarked on what he had seen and how sad it was the fire of love had gone out in so many marriages.  Fast forward fifty years.  Now this couple has lived together, raised a family together, and served the LORD faithfully.  As they walk down the aisle in a public building, walk a park pathway, or stroll into church, they hold hands.  The hobble in, holding one another up, gripping tightly to the other.  In their younger years, this PDA would seem over the top.  Now that they are in their seventies or eighties, it seems sweet and timeless.  What has happened?  When done in the latter years, it is seen as eternal love.  In younger years, people view it with contempt.  None the less, regardless of the opinion of others, they hold hands.

This brings me to my point.  One wonders what others see as I strive to love my LORD.  Do I elicit a response of uneasiness because I love the LORD?  Does the one who professes Christ as Savior stir in the minds and hearts a feeling of revulsion at the dedication he or she has for Christ?  Does the saint’s love for Jesus cause others to have an unsettled heart? Do those who hate Christ look in disdain toward those who love Him?  Do they think the one who loves God a person of questionable mental acuity?   When was the last time someone who did not love the LORD think that my life was a bit over the top?  When was the last time someone who did not understand lobby for a bit of moderation for loving God?  When those who do not know nor love God see us, what do they see?  Do they see a relationship of unquenchable and sacrificial love?  Or do they see a passing fancy?  When those who do not know nor love God see us, do they see a relationship of unquenchable and sacrificial love, or do they see a passing fancy?  What do they see?  If they do not disdain us for loving the LORD, then we are not loving Him enough!  It is that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment